So, is there a problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Anyone else "have a problem"?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoilerMan

Minister of Fire
Apr 16, 2012
Northern Maine
Ok, so I was "caught" today with binoculars at the top of the driveway focused in on the boiler chimney......... It was during startup and I was looking for any water condensation dripping from the cap I made. It occured to me that with all that steam and little heat there could be condensation and wanted to check, do I have a problem? I mean, I'm spying on the chimney, and I get this big dumb smile when all I see is steam and no smoke when I go outside. Hmmmmm, I think, all that wonderful woodgas (smoke) being consumed and turned into BTUs as it should.

I was told that it's not a problem if I do not expierence withdrawls in summer, or interfear with my life in winter. I may have a problem, it may be more serious than I realized.

It was then suggested that I go to my local Woodburners Anonymous Group, my reply, "well I tried but they had a woodstove in the place of meeting. When I arrived, six people were watching three guys poking the fire, and two were on the roof with a chimney brush. There were several others sharpening their chains to 'go scouting in the woods'. " The only thing that seemed strange to me was they guys on the roof, there was a fire going and it was my thought that they should clean/inspect the flue once the fire had gone out, ah well.

True story, well not the WBAG part ;)

Merry Christmas all!

TS

What does your wife think about your actions? There's where the true answer lies.

Yes my problem seems to be wood collecting. I have over 30 cord split and stacked. Which should be 5-6 years worth. With that said I am still itching to get in the woods and cut......

Oh, weighing my wood loads before burning and tracking for the day wouldn't be a problem would it?

gg

Cast your votes gentlemen! The wife says she knows there is a problem, and was not suprised by any of the above. LOL

I always keep an eye out on the chimney. All I see usually is heat vapor lines and no smoke unless I have some bridging. I need to get wood though but my truck is layed up right now as I am installing a egr delete and a new oil cooler :(

Sign me up. I might be beyond help though.

I always keep an eye out on the chimney. All I see usually is heat vapor lines and no smoke unless I have some bridging. I need to get wood though but my truck is layed up right now as I am installing a egr delete and a new oil cooler :(

EGR delete= more horsepower.......

Well, this evening I had to drag wood upstairs to the fireplace to make the annual fireplace Xmas Eve Fire on.

Didn't matter how good a case I was making that rather than do that, we all just take a chair to the basement & gather round the warm gassification glow our new boiler was making - they still needed their fireplace going. So maybe I'll just pour a drink & go down myself later after the kids get settled.

What problem? :p

I'll walk out at night with a spotlight and look at the chimney. We see steam also, and it's a good feeling. I also tend to notice every chimney on every home. There's also the problem of seeing wooded land with a ton of dead trees. My wife even comments look at all that firewood. Yeah I have a problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.