So it begins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel your pain. I had a few of these moments during my install too. In retrospect, I think I should have pulled out the 0 Clearance fireplace and done an install more like yours....maybe in my next house.

Does anyone know if the stove pipe can be angled off the stove? Or does it need to run straight for a specific length before any bends? Now, I'm not talking about a 90, just something slight to get it more behind the wall.

I may still rip down the wall, but if I can bend the pipe back, then I won't HAVE to. I think I'm gonna call the stove place tomorrow and see what they say.

Don there are a few issues here single wall pipe or elbow requires 18" clearance to combustiables in all directions If you use a swivel single wall elbow you may have to deal with combustiable issues with the rear walls. Many elbows are adjustiable angled for 90 degrees to straight.
The stove position may be 11 " from combustiables but one has to factor the clearances of the vent pipe most double wall connector pipe is 6 or 9" clearance to combustiables but if you use a single wall elbow that is 18" regardless of the stove position.
Don I'm thinking I might be able to sneek away one day this comming weekend and look your situation over. Pm me your location I have a mother in law in Simsbury. I think we can map out the easiest way to complete your setup even lend a hand. I will pack up some anticipated tools. Knowning me, You will have a safe code compliant setup

What is Fire code sheet rock? It is a product designed to protect combustiable framing a certain time limit. 5/8" will provide one hour protection doubling it up 2 hours. However the paper face is considered combustiable. the product therefore is a barrier but not non combustiable. Non rated 1/2" drywall is just that not rated for protection there is a different composition of the drywall core for fire core to conventional sheet rock. Dura rock Wonder board ie cement board is considered non combustiable. I applaud your effort but lets come up with the proper solution that affords you a safe install not guessing

I figured as much. What about a T off the back of the stove? Do they make double wall T's? I just need to move the pipe back a couple inches, or move the wall a couple inches. As of right now, the pipe would be only 1 1/8" from the wall. I don't think a ceiling box will fit that ;)

The Heritage can be setup for rear vent.

Found a picture of what I was thinking about. Notice how the pipe takes a slight bend to the rear. If I can do that, I should be able to get the clearance on the wall. DuraTech makes 15 and 30 degree double walled sections. It's just a question of length.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Basement_Wood_Stove4.jpg
    Basement_Wood_Stove4.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,300
Well now that I have more motivation (stove being installed on the 15th!!!!!), I'm really starting to make headway on the alcove :)

Here, the 2 sheets of 1/2" Durock are installed with a layer of thinset between to help bond them together.

Attachments

• Install11.jpg
    Install11.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,667
  • Install12.jpg
    Install12.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,682
All taped up and now where to go :)

Just have to fill in the little gap on the corner. That was my access point to behing the wall to run the wiring for the new sconces and wall plate. And for some bizzare reason, I find taping quite enjoyable!!!

Now that I've got the walls going pretty well, I'm going to start on the tile perhaps tonight, or tomorrow. That should allow me to have it all ready for the installers this saturday.

Attachments

• Install13.jpg
    Install13.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,537
  • Install14.jpg
    Install14.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,590
DonCT said:
I called the stove store and they said they make a black double wall T. If I use that with the rear vent for the stove, That will set the stovepipe back enough to clear the alcove front wall.

one cool thing about that install is that you get to use the cook plate on the top of the stove. Gives you more area, and a little more restriction, which can make the stove a little more efficient but could also effect draft as well. If you have plenty of chimney it shouldnt be a issue.

DonCT said:
Well, the total chimney run is about 25', with only the slight bend to mate the chimney to the stove pipe. Hopefully that should be good :)

Arrrrrrghhhhh, figuring out the best way to tile (design wise) is a pain in the arse!!!! I think I'm gonna do some more taping to chill out ;)

Don, I find the best way to design tile layouts is on the computer. It allows one to work with dimensionally correct patterns and to rearrange things to one's heart's content. I haven't tried this program, but it's tiling specific and free. http://www.irisceramica.com/merchandising/cad_design_free.php?lang=en

This does assume that one is comfortable with computer graphics softwre. If not, do it on some 1/4" graph paper. That way you can experiment with layouts that are to scale. If you want, post some ideas and maybe we can help.

- Will

I think you deserve a Sam Adams kick off your shoes and enjoy it. You see what effort and determination can do
great job

Super job Don, it looks great! It's nice that you are documenting all of this. I expect to be doing a similar project later in the summer, so I'm getting good ideas and lessons from your experiences.

Yipeee!!!! The day of the install. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning :)

As for the pictures, I know that pictures have helped me design and build my set up. It's soooo much easier to visualize (obviously). If I can help people along the way, it's even better. Since I don't have that much experience in the wood heating sector, this is my way of contributing to helping others ;)

DonCT said:
Yipeee!!!! The day of the install. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning :)

As for the pictures, I know that pictures have helped me design and build my set up. It's soooo much easier to visualize (obviously). If I can help people along the way, it's even better. Since I don't have that much experience in the wood heating sector, this is my way of contributing to helping others ;)

What sucks is that you won't be able to use it for a good 8 months now. Congrads though.

Status
Not open for further replies.