So many choices, I'm torn between these models. Thoughts appreciated.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Are they "somewhat lower" on the high end? Are they based upon the same method? If not, then the values are not comparable. We certainly do not make the highest BTU producing stoves, but if comparable test method data is used, the difference is negligible.

BKVP
There is no comparable test method for a fully loaded stove run at high output that I know of. The fuel charge volume is strictly limited in EPA testing. Additionally, most stoves do not have a thermostat limiting the top output. That can be both a plus and a minus. A BK stove is not likely to run away like a poorly attended non-thermostatic stove can. A properly run, non-thermostatic stove can often be pushed hotter as long as one stays below a safe maximum temperature. If the stove is unshielded, the radiant heat can be high.

I initially considered VC stoves. I do love the top loading feature, but they are cast iron and I fear the heat would be too intense for the small living area; I want gentle steady heat. After doing research and collecting advice I've whittled my list down to the Hearthstone Heritage or a BK Ashford.
I would encourage you to look up a thread titled "VC temperature discussion" the stories in there may dissuade you especially for a small space most folks need to get them pretty hot at the start to run well which may not jive with your smaller space.

Reactions: begreen and EbS-P
@BKVP looking at the Ashford 30.2, what is "Cast Iron Legs" as an optional accessory on the website?

1712245137638.png

@BKVP looking at the Ashford 30.2, what is "Cast Iron Legs" as an optional accessory on the website?

View attachment 326439
Sorry but when there are multiple colors of anything here, we list as options. You could ask for a black stove with brown legs or heaven forbid cast grey. Just have them order it the way you want it.

We do the same thing on doors for the Princess and King. Gold, Satin, Black or solid. So they are listed as an option..not that anyone would try to burn it without a door! I know, it's nuts.....

BKVP

Reactions: kevk
Sorry but when there are multiple colors of anything here, we list as options. You could ask for a black stove with brown legs or heaven forbid cast grey. Just have them order it the way you want it.

We do the same thing on doors for the Princess and King. Gold, Satin, Black or solid. So they are listed as an option..not that anyone would try to burn it without a door! I know, it's nuts.....

BKVP
Ah that makes sense. Thank you!

Thank you everyone for the input! We ended up ordering a BK Ashford 30.2 for the space. Framing will start soon and we should be dried-in, in a couple of months. If all goes well, we'll be done with construction in early fall which will be the perfect time to fire up the stove.

Congratulations! Is there a good stash of firewood stacked and drying?

Congratulations! Is there a good stash of firewood stacked and drying?
Not yet, I have a lot of felled logs on the property from the house clearing and will handle that once the house is completed.

I will most likely go the bio brick route for the first year or two. There is also a large production firewood supplier in the town. They sell kiln dried wood by the face cord for an extra fee so I might check them out as well.

Congrats. Pics please when it's installed :)

You can buy kiln-dried firewood, but often it's not dry enough.
I would suggest to buy biobricks for the first year (store them inside), buy firewood now for the second year (stack if off the ground, covered), and prepare your own logs for the third year. It's a bit of dollars, but then you've made the jump to a three year plan in one go without a "3 year effort" during the busy new-home time, and only need to resupply the wood you burn each year.

Congrats. Pics please when it's installed :)

You can buy kiln-dried firewood, but often it's not dry enough.
I would suggest to buy biobricks for the first year (store them inside), buy firewood now for the second year (stack if off the ground, covered), and prepare your own logs for the third year. It's a bit of dollars, but then you've made the jump to a three year plan in one go without a "3 year effort" during the busy new-home time, and only need to resupply the wood you burn each year.
Will post pics when done. Thank you for the tips! Btw, where is the best place to buy Biobricks from? I've never heard of them before joining this forum.

Will post pics when done. Thank you for the tips! Btw, where is the best place to buy Biobricks from? I've never heard of them before joining this forum.
You've got some time. If you get pine, that is split and stacked now, it should be ready to burn by November. Some kiln dried wood sellers are honest. We have a local one that's good. It would be worth a stop at the kiln dried wood seller to ask about their process, how (or if) they check for moisture content and if they do, what is their target for internal moisture. If they guarantee the wood is <20% MC then it may be ok.

Bio-Bricks, Redstones, ECO blocks, etc. are sold by local distributors. Getting a pallet-load would be very costly for freight. Ask around at local wood stove sellers. Tractor Supply sells Redstones.

I don't know, down in Georgia. They are more available up north.
One type is NIELS (https://www.hearth.com/talk/resources/northern-idaho-energy-logs.171/)
I remember that Tractor Supply sometimes has another brand.

Bio Blocks has a retailer in Newport TN (near Knoxville).

Otherwise see if you can find cut offs from saw mills.
Or get pine now; that's fine in one summer if split and stacked.

If you get pine, that is split and stacked now, it should be ready to burn by November. Some kiln dried wood sellers are honest. We have a local one that's good. It would be worth a stop at the kiln dried wood seller to ask about their process, how (or if) they check for moisture content and if they do, what is their target for internal moisture. If they guarantee the wood is <20% MC then it may be ok.

Bio-Bricks, Redstones, ECO blocks, etc. are sold by local distributors. Getting a pallet-load would be very costly for freight. Ask around at local wood stove sellers. Tractor Supply sells Redstones.
I know they cut down some yellow pine on my lot. I will check out the kiln dried stuff w/ a moisture meter. I checked their site, they charge $175 for "seasoned" and $200 for kiln dried, per face cord. Thanks!

I will check out the kiln dried stuff w/ a moisture meter.
You'll need to bring an axe to resplit the wood so that it can be tested inside, on the freshly exposed face of the wood.