Solar and power wall 3 quote.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Design will be

Duke is offering $5400 for a battery install and then onto that you can get $52 a month.

Here is the rider that you must use for 24 months. Basically there is a $0.67 per kw name plate grids access fee and a 28$ minimum bill that is not offset by credits. Net metering is done per TOU period. Excess power it credited at $0.034 per kWh.

Sooo… read on if you want. It’s more complicated that I have time to really understand right now. I don’t think it should be.

View attachment 328077

That is complicated to understand - I got stuck on "name plate grid".

I looked into the Eversource fact page and they will only do this with approved batteries from Enphase, by approved installers (my installer is one of them). It is a 3 year commitment. Also, it is a limited fund, so not everyone will be able to participate and most likely anyone who stops to think about it probably won't be fast enough to get in on it. Well, truthfully I have no idea what the fund amount is, but NH is not big on incentives so sets apart very little for something like this.

Eversource was effectively forced into it by the state. NH Electric Coop has been far more progressive on batteries and while the state rules were being made, Eversource got forced into it. I think NHEC even was proposing a Bring Your Own Battery Program (BYOB)that was equipment agnostic, not sure if it happened. The state gets Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (AKA RGGI or "reggy") funding that is supposed to be dedicated to energy efficiency. NH raids a lot of it for other purposes but does fund some energy efficiency programs and I expect the battery program is funded from that.

The reason that Eversource is going with specific equipment and installers is they dont want to mess with the details of getting the system to work. With a BYOB program the utility has to communicate directly to the actual customer and each connection needs to be customized, thats lot of IT and staff time. The Eversource approach is get an intermediate third party to do the dirty work and all Eversource does is communicate to the third party when they want to deploy the home batteries for gird support. I havent kept up Mass but think they have a couple of other equipment vendors.

Eversource is a large behemoth in it for the buck and the only reason they do any energy incentive programs is the state PUC forces them to or dangles a large incentive in front of them. NHEC is Coop, the customers are the owners so they can be more progressive if their customers want them to be.

That is complicated to understand - I got stuck on "name plate grid".

I looked into the Eversource fact page and they will only do this with approved batteries from Enphase, by approved installers (my installer is one of them). It is a 3 year commitment. Also, it is a limited fund, so not everyone will be able to participate and most likely anyone who stops to think about it probably won't be fast enough to get in on it. Well, truthfully I have no idea what the fund amount is, but NH is not big on incentives so sets apart very little for something like this.
We have to get utility approval to install. The nameplate capacity is just the system size on the application to Duke.

Power when up on my last bill. Now at 16.7 cents per kWh on 1150 kWh. Shortening that ROI time!

Down to last permits and a tree removal. County wanted an elevation cert. I was able to find one in my gmail from when we bought the house in 2010. It was dated 2007. Duke has approved all the stuff on their end including a $9k rebate once the install is complete. (I would really like to understand all the fine print and what I just signed up for. But it’s their way or an off grid system). I have to do “net metering bridge” rider what ever that means then after two years I can go time of use billing but can only change twice in 10 years.

Roof needed bracing. Basically a knee wall about 40” high. My dad had to move everything that was in the way in the attic. I probably will lay down some r38 batts where I don’t have floor but attic work during the summer is dumb. I really should air seal before batts but attic work in the summer is dumb.

I found a vent pipe not going through the roof today. Never noticed I only had one sticking out but two in the attic. It might have been left over from the old bathroom??

Roof needed bracing. Basically a knee wall about 40” high. My dad had to move everything that was in the way in the attic. I probably will lay down some r38 batts where I don’t have floor but attic work during the summer is dumb. I really should air seal before batts but attic work in the summer is dumb.
!!!

I really should air seal
Fixed it for you.

I did the same. Take out R19, air seal, put R19 back between the joists, put unfaced R38 90 degree rotated on top.
Huge difference.

Reactions: sloeffle and EbS-P
They sell vests that have cool packs in them. The poor souls who install insulation in the summer wear them.

Reactions: sloeffle and EbS-P
They sell vests that have cool packs in them. The poor souls who install insulation in the summer wear them.
In my younger days I worked in several attics, in NY and CT, in the humid hot summers. At the end of the day all you want to do is jump into the nearest lake.

Roof panel install on Saturday if I can get they’re taken down this week. I’ve got a busy week and so does my tree guy. Bonus he has a new bucket truck. Is that a bonus? I think I’ve bitten off more than I can get done😵‍💫

The tree is down. Bucket truck was not able to reach it all. So it’s taken almost 2 weeks to get it finished. I threw in the towel and paid to have them haul away. I pulled limbs for a couple hours. Did what I could. Heat index this week is 100-105. If you start the saw bed 9:30 am it’s really hot work I observed. Panel install is set for Wednesday.

Changed panels now I’m getting larger 440w Qcell panels as it seems they are having supply issues. And I have some firewood to process. Need to cleanup arround the panel and sweep the chimney this weekend. I’m going to be done with my work by 9:30;)

Deciding if I need to hook my refrigerators up to generator power for the day of the main panel upgrade. I pulled wire and installed backup outlets behind each fridge so all that left is to hard wire an extension cord and run to generator. House is so much brighter!

[Hearth.com] Solar and power wall 3 quote. [Hearth.com] Solar and power wall 3 quote.

Why not just keep the wood until you and the weather are ready to process it...?

Why not just keep the wood until you and the weather are ready to process it...?
Oh I will. I just want to bushes cut back and chimney swept. No way in hell I’m splitting firewood by hand in this heat.

Oh I will. I just want to bushes cut back and chimney swept. No way in hell I’m splitting firewood by hand in this heat.
Good. I read "paid them to haul away" as you getting rid of the firewood.

Good. I read "paid them to haul away" as you getting rid of the firewood.
Haul away the limbs and branches. It was a big tree. I was going to rent a chipper but it was more than I could do.

Reactions: stoveliker
How long will you be out of power? Fill up the freezer with ice and keep some in the fridge. You’ll be good for a few days if you’re not constantly opening it. If you need to, buy some ice at the store.

Store ice works for a fridge, not a freezer. It's rarely significantly below freezing when one gets home with bags, meaning it can't really cool below 32 F

The freezer will generally keep stuff frozen if you keep a block of ice up there. Other than ice cream, I haven’t noticed too much of a difference in food appearance and texture between zero and 31F.

Pretend it’s 1926 and you have an old timey ice box! GE introduced their Monitor Top refrigerator in 1927.

My point is that ice starts to melt when you get home. That means it's 32 F.
And surely the store is not paying to keep it at 5 F.

It's not getting warm in the freezer but it won't be at freezer temps, instead it'll be near freezing. That is the temp of melting ice.

Deciding if I need to hook my refrigerators up to generator power for the day of the main panel upgrade. I pulled wire and installed backup outlets behind each fridge so all that left is to hard wire an extension cord and run to generator. House is so much brighter!
If this is a modern refrigerator, the insulation will be better. In a 6 hr outage, our freezer will only go from -5º to 0º F. The trick is to not open the freezer door during this time. I usually fire up the generator after that point if I know it's going to be longer, but with a family you may need to access it. If so, just fire up the generator for a couple of hours.

How long will you be out of power? Fill up the freezer with ice and keep some in the fridge. You’ll be good for a few days if you’re not constantly opening it. If you need to, buy some ice at the store.
It’s a complete panel replacement, moving it a few feet, new mast/weather head , combining existing sub panel into main panel. I’m prepared for 8 hours. I don’t think it will be one of the easy ones. Not upgrading service staying at 200A (I’m pretty sure). They are claiming a three day job but I don’t know the stages.

When I'm running my house on my inverter, I shut it down (and the fridge) when I go to bed, turn it back on the morning, so 6-7 hours.

The ice cream doesn't melt.

When I'm running my house on my inverter, I shut it down (and the fridge) when I go to bed, turn it back on the morning, so 6-7 hours.

The ice cream doesn't melt.
The 2 year old has discovered ice. The “cold cold” of the bottom freezer is irresistible;)

it looks like it wont be too hot. If it was 95 out I don’t think I’d make it 7 hours.

I knew the growth that tree was accelerating…..

[Hearth.com] Solar and power wall 3 quote.

Tree down panels up! Lots of banging up there now! Not sure they will finished today, it was raining earlier this am so they didn’t start until 9. But at least it’s cool and cloudy. Nice day to work on a roof.

Tree down panels up! Lots of banging up there now! Not sure they will finished today, it was raining earlier this am so they didn’t start until 9. But at least it’s cool and cloudy. Nice day to work on a roof.
You must be getting antsy to get it all up and running - at least I would be.