[SOLVED] Super/Pro deluxe raincap to Ultra/Sure Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akbear

Burning Hunk
Aug 14, 2013
Interior AK
After ages of bouncing around different ideas of how to mate a deluxe raincap (twist on draft enhancing) to the standard Selkirk chimney (only option available a standard bolted clamp-on round top) I finally found a solution (being that the twist rings are about an inch different in diameter).

In my case, it was the JSC6ASE smoke pipe to chimney adapter (to go from 6 inch UT to 6 inch deluxe cap)

Maybe others have done it differently (my first thought was to find a female twist ring and attach it to the bottom of the rain cap, never really considered if using the next smaller sized cap would fit as I assumed that would require modification of the opening, plus I already had the 6 inch on hand), but if not, at least here is one work around. (in the picture the adapter is the black part, the lower portion slides inside the chimney and male threads are on top, only the double walled portion is exposed).
IMG_2237.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2237.JPG
    IMG_2237.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 374
AKBear - long time no see! Looks like a neat solution, does it actually enhance draft or why did you get the different cap? How's the Deva doing?

It's not installed yet, but it was in my original plan and sitting around for years waiting. Now it waits for a tall ladder and well balanced person to change them out. As for the Deva, hopefully this winter I'll have a better opportunity to use it.

I am not fond of the exposed coupling end of the chimney pipe. Do you think the storm collar is going to keep strong windblown rain out?

I am not fond of the exposed coupling end of the chimney pipe. Do you think the storm collar is going to keep strong windblown rain out?
Rarely an issue here in the interior, but it wouldn't be a big deal to place a stainless band or a similar shield if that was a concern (I'm assuming you are referring to the black painted component being exposed rather than the male threads of the chimney pipe as those are exposed as well with the standard round cap albeit with a shorter vertical distance to the overhang of the cap)

So, Did this happen? Did you do this?

I just today finished the installation of 6" Selkirk Ultra-Temp chimney, and the crowning finish was installing the dinky cap that was supplied in my kit. Looks like it will come right off in the first real wind, I am not excited about it at all. will try and attach an image of the 6' pipe coming out of the copper cover on my wood chase/chimney which I just got converted today. (it did have B vent form a lpg gas fireplace coming through it before, so I took it today to the cooper guy down the road and he soldered on a collor for the 6') Anyway, I did not take a picture of the rain cap, but I think you all know it. And Yes , I expect I will install a storm colar of some sort. Any hint on what caulk/silicone, I can use to seal the copper collar to 6' joint as seen here in this image.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

IMG_9532.JPGIMG_9533.JPG

Use the 6T-CT it's a nice cap that won't go anywheres in a storm and it will cover the flange

Reactions: jeff_t
Use the 6T-CT it's a nice cap that won't go anywheres in a storm and it will cover the flange

I very much prefer this one over the twist on cap. I did have to go up and straighten it out once after a nasty storm. Compared to others in the area, that wasn't very serious damage.

HAve 'installed' the 6T-CT and tightened the bolt on the band that clamps down the three dinky tabs that hang over the pipe. Not alot of optimism there. However, anyone have any thoughts on what type of silicon/caulk I should use to caulk the seal between the copper collar and the 6' pipe as seen in the images I posted above? Also of course it rained hard last night, and I did get water down the pipe.

Thansk very much...

Personally I hate the 6T-CT. Right out of the box it was so flimsy that it was skewed and the mid-band out of round. Seems like it would take one raven to sit on top of it to squash the whole thing down (of course the ravens up here rival chickens for size). Furthermore, it's a draft constrictor rather than an enhancement and for anyone cleaning the chimney top down, quite a bit more involved to remove. (and at least from my viewpoint it really only partially covers the top threads of the chimney pipe, but living in an area where the majority of the people refuse to put any cap on a chimney so as not to have any restrictions or barriers, it's kind of a non-issue). I'm going to be much happier when that promised ladder finally shows up to get that eyesore off mine and replaced with the SPR6DRC.

I don't know what other's opinions on caulking would be, but I'm quite partial to the GE Household Glue (Silicone II) which comes in a small hand squeeze tube. From what I recall the temperature rating on it is 60 below to 400 above (best to double check the package of course) which ought to be more than adequate for practically any outdoor job without resorting to a special stove/engine ultra high temp sealant, plus it's a neutral sealant, which means it's not going to leach corrosive elements while curing (in other words, make sure it's the silicone II, not the silicone I)

image.jpg Going up on the roof later today with this, and a storm collar as well... Assuming this product can handle weather?

I can't find a low temp rating on it other than the application range (+30 to +100F). The high temp is +450 continuous and +500 intermittently and it's interior and exterior, so I can't imagine why it wouldn't be fine. And just like any other silicone products of that nature, let it fully cure before subjecting it to heat or flame (~24hrs).

Hi... thanks much, so then I will use it, and yes not planning to fire the woodstove yet, but we are expecting rain for the rest of the week starting sometime tomorrow, so I want to seal that joint between copper collar and Selkirk and also get the storm collar in place and sealed to the Selkirk by tonight so that the rain tomorrow (and rest of the week) is not running town the pipe into the house.

Also I have on ordered and due to arrive soon some selkirk SUSI insulation so that I can pack it around the outer edge of my attic insulation shield, (attic floor is the insulated envelope in that part of the house) and so with the attic Insulation shield going through there, there is a huge 'hole' now in the envelope, and so I hope at least to reduce the impact of that. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks much!

Status
Not open for further replies.