Some kind of locust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The large log in the bottom middle of the photo has the thicker bark and yellowish-green hue that are tyical of freshly cut black locust. It doesn't have the typical bark inclusions, but I have also seen the thinner bark variation over the years.

Agree...and that leads me to believe the non-Locust appearance has to do with the fact that these are immature specimen. The large log was from the biggest of the bunch that was felled, but most definitely the same variety as the rest.

Then what?

In Northern Va BL does not look like that, and when
Agree...and that leads me to believe the non-Locust appearance has to do with the fact that these are immature specimen. The large log was from the biggest of the bunch that was felled, but most definitely the same variety as the rest.

It will burn fine whatever it is- post #22 has pictures of BL

In Northern Va BL does not look like that, and when

It will burn fine whatever it is- post #22 has pictures of BL

Look at the smaller rounds in the bed of the truck in post #22

23e30cdb74d11408ca51fe3fa0a6ebfc.png

Enhance

04ab223e9944493c0f041f0536790a0a.png

Enhance!

de5c472c23d52642376d7ead7ec91aa1.png

Newer photos(from O.P.)...final answer BLACK LOCUST.

Reactions: TreePointer
How weird that all these longtime stovers
are stumped on a stump. LOL

Not that I
can be sure of anything either. LOLOLOL

I was referring to these pics, and that confirms it to me 100%

I agree. Black locust. 100% certainty.

TO ALL: Here are some pics of a known black locust I took today on our property. It's young and growing rapidly in moist soil within 15 feet of a small stream.

I selected this particular tree becaust its bark looks exactly like that on the logs in question. It's grown to a decent size (8" DBH) but still very young. Notice the bark doesn't have the deep furrows and inclusions of much older trees--or some younger trees that have dryer growing conditions.

Clearly recognizable BL leaves with some branches & trunk showing:

BL01.jpg

A focus on the trunk (You can see mossy stones in the creek bed in the background):

BL02.jpg

Bark look familiar? ;)

bl03.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangerbait
learn something new everyday here at the university of hearth.com:cool:

I agree. Black locust. 100% certainty.

TO ALL: Here are some pics of a known black locust I took today on our property. It's young and growing rapidly in moist soil within 15 feet of a small stream.

I selected this particular tree becaust its bark looks exactly like that on the logs in question. It's grown to a decent size (8" DBH) but still very young. Notice the bark doesn't have the deep furrows and inclusions of much older trees--or some younger trees that have dryer growing conditions.

Clearly recognizable BL leaves with some branches & trunk showing:

View attachment 201153

A focus on the trunk (You can see mossy stones in the creek bed in the background):

View attachment 201154
But no thorns. BL has no thorns as far as I kn0w.

Bark look familiar? ;)

View attachment 201155

Yes definitely not Honey Locust, HL has thorns that make them look like satans garden. I know because I'm slowly clearing my land of them. Went to the Dr. for a routine checkup a couple days after clearing some of the Honey Locust, and he said, "what the heck happened to you"

Yes definitely not Honey Locust, HL has thorns that make them look like satans garden. I know because I'm slowly clearing my land of them. Went to the Dr. for a routine checkup a couple days after clearing some of the Honey Locust, and he said, "what the heck happened to you"

Both Honey and Black locust have cultivars that are thorn-less...So thorns are not the deciding factor when we are examining these two species.

That there is black locust, Makes for great stove chow. And yes, there are thornless samples of both flavors.

Looks like black locust to me as well as some great BTU's.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I agree young blank locust I have a few truck loads that look exactly like that, much different compared to the most older mature black locust trees. The leaves should help give it away nice grab great firewood.

Reactions: Rangerbait