Somebody That May Have A Problem Selling His Craigslist Item

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
"I will not answer emails because of spam or phone calls."

I guess ya just drive around Glen Burnie, Maryland watching for a chimney liner laying in the yard.

"Please respond via registered mail".

I have never had a "normal" Craigs list transaction. For some teason, every single time, something has been odd or off just a bit.
From a guy who insisted that it was my responsibility to deliver the cabinets to him cause they wouldn't all fit in his truck in one trip. To a lady who called back 2 weeks after I gave away a free Wii to ask if I'd like to go for a drink. Lol.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Between Uncle Henrys and Craigslist I've sold many a vehicle, ATV, sled, etc. with zero issues . . . maybe I just have been lucky.

Reactions: aussiedog3
I wish that was my case. Multiple people have walked away because I wouldn't take a personal check despite every ad I place stating "cash only" and an ATM being less than a mile away. One guy paid cash for a nearly $1000 sale, all 10's and 20's, it was however all there after the third re-count.
Perhaps it's like my wife said to me the other day, "It's not the chair, it's not the patio set, it's not my car, it's not the mattress, it's not the kayak, it's your back that's the issue!" :rolleyes:

Bought and sold quite a bit with no issues. Just sold my nor-tech screw splitter friday using cl, buyer was great, I was happy. Of course this was in nh, MA in the cities I might have some concerns.
I scrounge all my wood on CL

Reactions: jeff_t
We use kijiji up here. Very similar to cl. Most issues I've had have been no shows

My first and only craigslist listing was on the eve of super storm Sandy. Everybody was going nuts and I listed my new spare generator at cost. Sold in 10 minutes to a guy eight miles from me. And I had to put up with dozens of emails from as far as a 100 miles away. Calling me everything but a human for not holding it for them. One guy in DC kept sending them for a week after the storm passed. And he never lost power.

Never again.

I had fun playing with a ?Nigerian? scammer when I was selling my Subaru WRX wagon a couple years ago. He played along for a week or two, then lost interest.

I've bought and sold a lot of stuff locally over craigslist, both small and large, including vehicles. Never had a bad experience. But I have seen many scams, especially for larger ticket items. A common one out here is a vehicle or RV at a great price being sold by someone in the military. They ask for a deposit check because they just got transferred. I just ignore them. It's the wild west on the internet. Watch out for the carneys.

I saw a wood splitter listed the other day. Post said: "Works great. Needs engine."

At the right price I would buy that splitter. Years ago I bought a HF engine replacement for my splitter. Figured the engine was junk and cheap so I bought two of them. Damn thing still runs like a champ and the other one is still in the box in the garage.

Selling my pellet boiler I got plenty of "petroleum engineers" who were stuck on a platform for months but would pay for the boiler unseen. A few "doctors" who had emergencies in Minnesota. I had some fun with them at first but got sick of their fake PayPal payments. I finally just added " no PayPal scammers" and that they must show up and explain how they would move a 1,300 lb boiler, cash only. Still had one scammer after that, he acted like he was on his way, then after setting up a meeting at a nearby pizza joint reverted to a PayPal scammer.

It is fun to reply to them in the same butchered English they use

"I will not answer emails because of spam or phone calls."

I guess ya just drive around Glen Burnie, Maryland watching for a chimney liner laying in the yard.

I think he expects a text message be sent to his phone. That's how kids communicate these days. I sold my Stihl saw last week and had to deal with that.

I think he expects a text message be sent to his phone. That's how kids communicate these days. I sold my Stihl saw last week and had to deal with that.

No phone number in the listing and clicking on the cl contact link came up blank.

Registered mail implies USPS. I'm surprised he even figured out how to post on craigslist. Probably didn't select carrier pigeon due to concerns of bird poo, the original spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.