Someone has broken in! Things aren't the way I left them! (New forum layout)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to the style choices? I'm back at the 'new' one - which works like crap on my XP machine. I'm not likely the only one still using XP. I hope this is temporary...

With the new format I find that on my Android tablet it forces me into the mobile view even if I have the "show desktop site" option enabled in Chrome. Is there something set server side overriding this preference?

With a big tablet I prefer the regular view to the phone optimized mobile look.

With the new format I find that on my Android tablet it forces me into the mobile view even if I have the "show desktop site" option enabled in Chrome. Is there something set server side overriding this preference?

I will check.

Thanks fish!

Another thought on navigation. I think this was an issue on the old site as well. When you go to the top of the forum list at first the navigation breadcrumb looks like:

[home icon] > Forums

Then if you go to a sub forum, say the inglenook, you will get this navigation breadcrumb:

[home icon] > Non-Hearth Forums > The Inglenook

What happens its showing the category in place of the top level forum link. Now if you want to go back to the full forum list you have to click home and then navigate back down to the forums. It would help the navigation to have the breadcrumbs render the full path like so:

[home icon] >Forums > {category} > {forum name}

Sorry to nitpick, software quality is my profession ;)

Reactions: semipro
What happened to the style choices? I'm back at the 'new' one - which works like crap on my XP machine. I'm not likely the only one still using XP. I hope this is temporary...

Was renaming it to Old Hearth. You can change by going into your profile page and change preferences. There may be some functionality issues on the old style.

I'm not sure why but I was having lots of functionality issues with the new style on this XP machine. I got errors when clicking on the little notice bell thing, and the notification button. Didn't see a forum jump bar, and there was a couple of pages at the top of menu item type stuff that I had to scroll past every time to get to the actual forum page. And the pages loaded a lot slower.

But as long as I can view old style I'm good - so far. I suspect there are lots of bugs to work out yet anyway - maybe I'll try the new style again after some time goes by. Good luck.

I'm not sure why but I was having lots of functionality issues with the new style on this XP machine. I got errors when clicking on the little notice bell thing, and the notification button. Didn't see a forum jump bar, and there was a couple of pages at the top of menu item type stuff that I had to scroll past every time to get to the actual forum page. And the pages loaded a lot slower.

But as long as I can view old style I'm good - so far. I suspect there are lots of bugs to work out yet anyway - maybe I'll try the new style again after some time goes by. Good luck.

Are you on IE8? Any specifics and screen shots would be helpful. It was tested on XP IE 8. If issues were Before Sunday , then please try again.

I have to chuckle, as I remember how much some folks hated the "old style" when it came out as new,,,, and now it is coveted :)

In all, I'm going to stick with whatever the new style is as doing so and providing constructive criticism will be part of making the next version of what this place will be. Even though we can choose the old style for now, I do not believe that option will remain available forever.

pen

Here is answer on responsive design. The show as desktop setting doesn't work for responsive sites. That feature is if you have a mobile site separate to your desktop site, which most sites do not have. Why chrome has that in boggles many people, you can read about it here:

http://www.webmonkey.com/2013/01/turning-off-responsive-design/

I see that the 'path' is now at the top of the page. I found one at the bottom useful; When I got to the end of a thread, I could just hit the forum name and get a refreshed topic page. As it is, I have to either go back to the top of the page to get to the path, or right-click, hit 'back,' then reload the page.
Now I can use the up arrows that pop up in the lower right of the screen to get back to the top, then click the forum name in the path to get a refreshed topic page. A path at the bottom of the page, in addition to the one at the top, would be nice, but this isn't too bad...

Now if you want to go back to the full forum list you have to click home and then navigate back down to the forums.
I've just been clicking the 'forums' button at the top of the page.

Anyway to get more white space and even less definition between posts? [sarcasm] But this is one of the 'features' I really dislike with the new 'flat' style. Here is an (admittedly extreme) case, but they are all over the place...an entire full screen view with literally two lines of content and I'll bet it takes a few seconds just to figure out how many posts you're actually looking at.

Attachments

• more white.jpg
    more white.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 278
Same post with the new default theme.

upload_2015-11-5_21-15-18.png

Thanks for the tip. That does solve the 'post definition' issue...but then you get wonky colors, goofy round photos and still only a couple lines of 'substance' on every page in some cases. Plus, then I have the eerie feeling I've killed and buried a friend I've known for the past...oh...10-ish years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.