Somerset Pellets and Pure Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Icemanxxxv

Oct 20, 2014
Smithville MO USA
Stoppped by Menards here in Kansas City to grab some more. They didn't have 10 bags in the store so they cut me a ticket to get them from the yard. I noticed they had pure heats for 5.99 a bag compared to 3.79 for Somerset pellets. Paid at the register and made my way to the yard. I was instructed where to pick them up at and continued to the mother load. Upon arriving a worker on a fork lift met me there and started loading the Pure heats in my truck. I told him that I paid for the Somerset he said doesn't matter. Okay them 5.99 much be more better pellet right? Nope don't think so. More fines and less heat. What give 2.20 more per bag and not worth it. Might be a bad batch might not. I'll be buying Somerset pellets for the price and heat.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Seems they are trying to unload the unpopular pellets for$2.20 more per bag then the Somersets. I really think the guy working the lot didn't know what was up. The store has only been open for 6 days. I thought I was getting better pellets due to the price but in the long run I'll be buying Somersets from now on.

I get ya more expensive pellet better quality that usally is the case. I bought menards brand they had just changed from marth which are average pellet that burns good, I bought a couple of this new stock never agian! Garbage. I work at a stove dealer here in my area & i get a good selection of qaulity pellets. I was burning marth hardwood but have recently changed to ponderosa pine , they burn hot pretty clean & low dust content I pay 4.80 a bag just under 9000 btu.

I burned nearly 2 tons of Somerset pellets this winter and wasn't thrilled with them. They seemed to take forever to ignite and produced large clinkers. I've burned them in previous years and liked them so maybe I just got part of a bad batch.

I purchased somersets this year based on previous years greats reviews.. and mainly because my preferred pellet was sold out..
I've had mixed feelings about them.. almost 0 fines (great). Heat is good but I have burned hotter with less BTU... the thing that's for me puzzled is the ash... it is so thick and heavy that it forms almost a brick at the end of the burn pot before it falls off.. literally if it was cool you could pick it up without it losing form.. but with that being said, I've burned 3 times the amou of pellets without having to empty the ash pan...

I agree with RRT. Somersets were my go to pellet but this year thick heavy ash. Last years pellets I could wake up in the morning and there would be a very small amount of light Brown ash on the burn pot that is wasn't even worth scaling. This year I feel like I could reach in there and pick up the thick heavy ash. The color of pellets are much darker this year also.

Somerset has always been the brand I recommend to customers but it really just depends on how mild the winter was. The longer pellets sit in the system before they get sold, the worse they get. The best pellets I ever burnt were somerset on a bitter cold year when LP was high and they couldn't make them fast enough.