SOMERSET PELLETS??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acowherd

Hearth Supporter
Nov 8, 2008
MID Missouri
Local BBS has some for 5.98 a bag...299 a ton...
Well the price is the price....But how good are the pellets?

I summer filled my 1000 gal LP tank for .98 a gal.......Looks like the central heating unit will be making a come back like the the KC Royals!!

somersetPelletsBag.jpg

Reactions: bogieb
Pellets get great reviews but that propane price is insane. We must have an energy cartel up here in the Northeast that keep prices higher than most other places, whether it be oil, LP, pellets or NG.

Reactions: bogieb
I spoke with the propane guy today - He was delivering down the road and I stopped to say he.

I filled at 2.12 a bit back - Same company same gas is 2.54 today.

I called the Propane man today to check winter fill prices, as I may lock in some LP. Winter price for LP at local Place is $1.15 delivered. Lp prices he in Mid Mo are going to make burning pellets hard to do.

Well I bought a couple tons today for 250 a ton. Not the best deal, but I really like extra heat of my stove!

Wish our BBS would get some of those in!

I'm on my second season with the Sets and love them. They are a very good pellet but the price seems to be climbing which I do not like. Last year I paid $215 a ton and $220 per ton give or take a buck or two which isn't bad for my area. My friend turned me onto Greenways from TN and he pre-bought them at $205 per ton this year. I just bought a ton of those Tuesday for $213 after a sale and a 5% veteran discount at a local farm supply over in IN.

They are just as good as the Sets and can be had cheaper if bought correctly. I do like the Sets but saving cash is key and there are some very good and/or similar pellets to be had cheaper. If the Sets want to price themselves out then I'll find something else as I already have. Now locally the best price I can get Sets for is $245 at another farm supply that offered them for $215 pre-buy this fall.

Seems many BBS and farm supply places etc; are sitting on a lot of pellets this year because oil and propane is CHEAP. I have electric so I'm still burning. I hope these drastic pellet price jumps comes back and bites them all in the ass. I'll be looking for deals this spring. Pre-buys were reasonably priced but then everyone jacked prices up considerably. Now they seem to be running various sales and holiday pricing. I guarantee you if it was cold like last year the pellets would not be included in said sales.

It is important to try out, ask around, etc; and know which pellets are good and then just go with the best price. Gotta beat these bastards at their own game.......... Good Luck! If these pellet manufacturers and suppliers do not keep it real I'll be heating with wood. If I had a gas, oil, or a propane option the pellet stoves would be collecting dust this year. At .98 you'd be foolish not to capitalize on that heating cost. Let whatever pellet brand sit out in the suppliers yard and swell up with moisture and explode back into useless saw dust.

Reactions: Peterfield
Status
Not open for further replies.