New England (MA, CT, ME, NH, VT, RI) Somersets vs AWF ultra

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AccentraRRT

Burning Hunk
Mar 1, 2014
Massachusetts
I've never run Somersets but I have always read great reviews.. I have however come across the AWP and burned about 15 bags and loved them... local place has Somersets and AWP ultra premiums both at $299/ton.
Just wondering thoughts at this price point and recommendations on which of the two to choose.. however I could always go 1 and 1

Who has the Setts?

If I am not mistaken the AWP's are a softwood while the Somersets are Hardwood. I have been by the Somerset factory in KY (driving by happened to see the sign and couldn't resist stopping in) to see their operation. They are a hardwood floor company that harvests their own sawdust. I have burned them in the past and have found them to be a great pellet.

The guys at Kirley are great! I buy my Doulas Firs from them now. I switched to the Firs because of the lower maintenance due to very low ash.

yes the AWF are a softwood, if you burned them and loved them I would stick with them, somersets are a good hardwood but usually a softwood will mean less cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.