Song Of The Week.... Bring It Back?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How about the guitarist that Jimi Hendrix said was better than him. Terry Kath of Chicago, sadly he accidentally shot himself while demonstrating his gun was unloaded... a sad day in music history.

Remember bubble gum music

Denmarks Radio, 1969, an obscure band that had to introduce themselves. "On base guitar, John Paul Jones, on drums, John Bonham, on guitar, Jimmy Page, and myself, Robert Plant". Little did the world know that Led Zeppelin has arrived!

This guy started his career at 12 years old when he opened for BB King at about 20 shows. His guitar work is easy to get lost in.

Both are great but the cover of "I'm your puppet" by Jack White is pretty awesome.
Thank you Grizzerbear , this is interesting for a few reasons.

First, it's new to me, and it's good music. Jack White does an excellent job, he obviously can work a guitar.

Second, I had to look up I'm Your Puppet (what can I say, I grew up on a steady diet of heavy rock), and what is considered the most popular version of this song was performed by James and Bobby Purify in 1966, which was also a cover. James Purify died on January 22, 2021, in Pensacola, FL of complications due to Covid.

Thirdly, I noticed the sign on the recording studio wall, this was recorded at Muscle Shoals, Alabama. For anyone that hasn't heard of Muscle Shoals recording studio, it's legendary, with some of the best music recorded there. Even the native americans considered it a special place where music flowed. For those interested in music history, this documentary is worth checking out. It's almost 2 hours long.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Thank you Grizzerbear , this is interesting for a few reasons.

First, it's new to me, and it's good music. Jack White does an excellent job, he obviously can work a guitar.

Second, I had to look up I'm Your Puppet (what can I say, I grew up on a steady diet of heavy rock), and what is considered the most popular version of this song was performed by James and Bobby Purify in 1966, which was also a cover. James Purify died on January 22, 2021, in Pensacola, FL of complications due to Covid.

Thirdly, I noticed the sign on the recording studio wall, this was recorded at Muscle Shoals, Alabama. For anyone that hasn't heard of Muscle Shoals recording studio, it's legendary, with some of the best music recorded there. Even the native americans considered it a special place where music flowed. For those interested in music history, this documentary is worth checking out. It's almost 2 hours long.

I mostly listen to older country....2000 and earlier.....and classic rock but because of my parents and grandparents subjecting me to their preferences as a kid, which now I'm thankful for, I like pretty well any genre if it's good music or has a story to tell. From bluegrass to rock, blues, even doo wop. I knew of the Muscle Shoals recording studio from watching various documentaries about artists but when I get more time I will definitely watch the link you posted modoug.

Now here's one for my old man....and maybe for y'all Canadians....a big ac/dc, kiss, really any classic rock fan. He always said April Wine never got the notoriety they deserved. I agree

Reactions: MoDoug

when I think of AC/DC this is what I remember
from my past

That song never gets old. Always reminds me of the final scene of dazed and confused.

Edit: not because it's the song to the final scene either because it isn't lol

Last edited:
Now here's one for my old man....and maybe for y'all Canadians....a big ac/dc, kiss, really any classic rock fan. He always said April Wine never got the notoriety they deserved. I agree
Really I like most genre's also, depends on the band. April Wine used to open for Rush on some tours. I saw them in St. Louis, excellent show. One thing about country, they have some great lyrics. This song could have been my dad.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I know this is a long watch, an hour and a half, but if you enjoy some great blues guitar playing, this is time well spent. An established blues great, Albert King, and an up and coming blues protege, Stevie Ray Vaughn jamming together. The respect and enjoyment between them is one thing that makes it so enjoyable, a master proud of his student, and a student making his master proud. It's amazing how good Albert King was with those huge hands of his.

Tragically SRV died in a helicopter crash at the age of 32. Eric Clapton was supposed to be on that helicopter but SRV took his place. Either way the world lost a great guitarist that day.

Last edited: