Soot/creosote buildup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

I just looked up my chimney and saw flakey black/brown stuff about 1/8th of an inch thick along the walls of my chimney.

I believe that this would be normal and just want to confirm...it is an outdoor chimney and I usually start from a cold start on a daily basis.

Thanks

Andrew

If dry, fluffy flakey it is normal.

Or if you're me, wear a hazmat suit...;lol

I think I learned the hard way Dennis! Lol

Bag of hammers: if I had a suit I would wear it! I just want to wait to clean it out once I am totally done burning....

Thanks for the heads up James...so that light and fluffy stuff can ignite? I will likely only burn another 1/4 cord this season......I should be good.

I have tried to ignite the fluffy stuff in a pile with a propane torch after cleaning. It will burn down but will not sustain a fire itself.That tells me your chance of a chimney fire from it is nill.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Status
Not open for further replies.