Soot Eater Review: Preview... Pretty good

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NoobTube

Burning Hunk
Nov 11, 2013
Seymour, CT
Alright, so after a year of ownership of my Osburn 2400, I decided last week was a good time to clean my SS liner. I cleaned from the bottom up, and honestly, the hardest part was getting the damn tube out and then putting the baffles and fire blanket thing back on.

That being said lets talk about how I review the performance of the Soot Eater. It was simple to use and my drill was more than powerful enough to tackle the job (Milwaukee cordless 18V)

I did run into one issue. My chimney is roughly 22feet long, and with only 18 feet of provided flexible rods, I didnt get near the top. I then verified this with a friends Wohler 340 boroscope camera (What a cool tool).

After preliminary inspection found that the soot eater did a great job all the way up to the 16 foot mark. At that point I ran out of length. So I got on my roof and was able to take the cap off, and cleaned that with the soot eater as well. Ran the soot eater down the flue and after re-inspecting again with the boroscope, it was clean as it could be, and a good deal of creosote fell down the chimney and into the firebox.

Would I recommend it?? Yes, for bottom up performance, it works great. and if you have enough rods it will make it all the way to the top, not necessitating any roof-top visits. If you have a chimney on the side of your house and has a tall stack like mine, this literally could be a life-saver, especially if you are a bit afraid of heights. (I'm not.)

I've ordered an additional set of rods and hope that the long term performance continues to be as good as this is. My next time I use it. I won't have to go on the roof.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I've been paying a guy $80 to do ours every year. Picked up a SootEater off Ebay today and I'll probably try it this weekend.
Thanks!

The SootEater:

Gardus-SootEater-1-Chimney-Cleaning-System-fireplace-cleaning-Rotary-Chimney-Cleaning-System.jpg

Be sure to trim those lines to the correct size flue opening. You don't want to risk it getting jammed, or not operating correctly.

Be sure to trim those lines to the correct size flue opening. You don't want to risk it getting jammed, or not operating correctly.

That's for sure. One of the reviews I read said they had it twist off in their chimney, no idea how to get it out now. I guess I'd tie a hook screw on the end and try to fish it out with its own rods.

Noob, I cleaned my Osburn 2400 for the first time this year as well but was concerned how the soot eater would flex from the bottom so I bought normal rods and brush and hit it from the top. Might just have to get the soot eater for next year though if it worked well for you.

I couldn't get the one tube to slide over in my stove and both cotter pins were a nightmare to pull out. I filed some of the high spots on the solder on the inside of the tubes which allowed them to slide on a lot easer than they came out. The blanket and baffles were no treat either to reinstall.

It works great. I've worn through the original set of strings. I run it in reverse so it will tighten my chimney sections. I also bought extra lengths to reach the top of my taller chimney.

Quick tip: The provided strings are long enough to give you two full sets of string for a 6" flue. So loosen the strings from the sooteater head and slide them over until they are the correct length on one side, then cut the other side to length. The cutoffs are longer than required for a refill.

We love ours. We have 22 foot ceilings in our living room, so we bought 2 kits. Works outstanding.

We can now clean our pipe and stove in about 40 minutes from start to finish, instead of hours.

Can't recommend highly enough.

Noob, I cleaned my Osburn 2400 for the first time this year as well but was concerned how the soot eater would flex from the bottom so I bought normal rods and brush and hit it from the top. Might just have to get the soot eater for next year though if it worked well for you.

I couldn't get the one tube to slide over in my stove and both cotter pins were a nightmare to pull out. I filed some of the high spots on the solder on the inside of the tubes which allowed them to slide on a lot easer than they came out. The blanket and baffles were no treat either to reinstall.

Flexes no problem inside the Osburn. I only removed the front tube. The second one I'd probably have to cut out or snip the cotter pins. I could not get them out as they were really bent over.

It works great. I've worn through the original set of strings. I run it in reverse so it will tighten my chimney sections. I also bought extra lengths to reach the top of my taller chimney.

Quick tip: The provided strings are long enough to give you two full sets of string for a 6" flue. So loosen the strings from the sooteater head and slide them over until they are the correct length on one side, then cut the other side to length. The cutoffs are longer than required for a refill.

I ran it in reverse one the way down. Too late on the extra string length. I've already tossed the extras... I also used mine recently to clean out my dryer vent tube which is like 14 feet long. Nasty....

I've ordered an additional set of rods and hope that the long term performance continues to be as good as this is. My next time I use it. I won't have to go on the roof.
I ordered a second kit with mine for that reason and/or breakage. The cost of a second complete sooteater was cheaper than the rods themselves and an extra head. I did not want to be in a bind without the extra head. Also mentioned here was that there is enough string/wire to make two six inch units. Loosen the head and cut the string in half, for 6 inch and you will have extra. Someone here also said it is the same size as ??.060??string trimmer material.

I made my own. I had a bunch of 1" grey underground PVC around from another project. I made one 10' and another 5'. I'll clean it from the top.

I couldn't see spending $50 on a few kits when I could make it in 15 mins.

Attachments

• 20170916_174618.jpg
    20170916_174618.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 388
I made my own. I had a bunch of 1" grey underground PVC around from another project. I made one 10' and another 5'. I'll clean it from the top.

That's beautiful. I like the juxtaposition of bright colors on the bland grey pipe. ;)

Reactions: VirginiaIron

Do the zip ties just pinch the line in that groove?

That's beautiful. I like the juxtaposition of bright colors on the bland grey pipe. ;)
Did I ever tell you about..? For any of you young enough to remember "commander Mc Bragg" that set up looks like a survival fishing rig and the Commander would use the hammer as a hook or use it to club the fish because the gigantic fly Has no hook.

Last edited: