1. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    There are rods that easily go through 90s in 6" pipe. I dont know about the soot eater rods though. I do it with ours all the time but they cost a little bit more than sooteater.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    lol... I hope your wife got video!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    It’s not violent when they break. At least it wasn’t for me. I now feed and load one rod at a time and minimize the bend radius.

The dang thing works great on our dry stack deposits. Can’t imagine the mess it would make with gooey tar. Then again, all brushes would make a mess with gooey tar.

4. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Oh, that reminds me, Highbeam. Someone had asked about how they do with the cap. My cap is stainless 5/8” expanded metal, and the SootEater does a great job at knocking any dried stuff off that. I suppose if you had one of the gooey stacks I sometimes see posted here, it might not work so well, but that’s never been an issue for me.

5. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    I dont care what you are cleaning with if it is gooey no mechanical cleaning is going to work. That crap takes chemicals. Same with thick glaze in round liners nothing will touch it but chemicals

Ashful likes this.
  6. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    I have Simpson caps with no screens on my class a systems. I push the sooteater up until it bumps the bottom side of the cap and let it spin a little bit one way and then reverse the drill and spin it the other way before coming back down. I purposely switch directions because I think it cleans differently in each direction.

I’ve been happy with the cap cleaning job it does but be warned, if you don’t remove the cap every few years it can really seize on to the pipe.

7. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I do the same exact thing, but in my case it’s bumping the bottom face of the flagstone toppers you can see on the three chimneys shown in the photo above.

Highbeam likes this.
  8. chichas

chichas
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 9, 2013
    Loc:
    Free State of Idaho!
    I bought one and it worked well for me. I ran it from the top down though because I have 3 feet of horizontal pipe run through my wall.

9. chichas

chichas
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 9, 2013
    Loc:
    Free State of Idaho!
    got mine on Amazon. less than $50 if I remember correctly.

10. fire_man

fire_man
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 6, 2009
    Loc:
    North Eastern MA
    I'm getting faster at using the sooteater now that I figured out how to easily separate the extensions.
    My only complaint is it does take longer than the brush used to but its worth it not to climb on the roof.

11. Rickb

Rickb
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 24, 2012
    Loc:
    St.Louis

Hell I never thought about reversing direction....... I usually just push it up slowly going up and down till im out of rods then pull it down. Totally going to reverse direction next spring and see if I get more crap out.

Highbeam likes this.
  12. Sodbuster

Sodbuster
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 22, 2012
    Loc:
    Michigan

Ditto on Amazon, just bought a second one because I was 2 lengths short for my chimney, now I have extra sections and an additional brush head.

Question for you guys that are using one; on a 6" chimney do you trim the whips or leave them factory length? All I have in my chimney is fluffy ash residue.

13. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    In a round liner or chimney running both directions is not important at all. But you should do it in the cap. In anything but round absoluly run both directions.

14. Rickb

Rickb
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 24, 2012
    Loc:
    St.Louis

Yea mine is round and looking up with a camera it looks clean, but it only takes like 10 minutes to clean it so reversing it and seeing if there is any difference wont take much time. I dont burn a ton of wood so my chimney is not very dirty. 1.5 cords or so per winter.

15. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    I trim to length per the instructions. A touch long is better than a touch short.

Don’t forget the secret trick. The original whips are more than twice as long as they need to be so you loosen up the clamp bolt and slide the whips in the head so you only cut from one side of the ball. The cutoffs are long enough to give you a second set of whips for when you wear out the first.

charger4406, Ashful and Sodbuster like this.
  16. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    We leave ours fairly long it doesnt hurt anything and just makes them last longer. As it is they last a month at most for us.

Sodbuster likes this.
  17. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    A lot of guys will replace the outdoor elbow with a tee, and leave the unused leg pointing down. Cap it when in use, then pull the cap to sweep straight up from the ground outdoors. Keeps the mess outside, and lets you do a thorough cleaning.

I trimmed mine, per the instructions. Did the same trick as Highbeam, to get 2 sets of whips out of one.

18. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    It needs to be a tee outside regardless.they dont make 90s in class a.

19. toddnic

toddnic
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 13, 2013
    Loc:
    North Carolina
    The Sooteater works great and should work fine in your application.....

20. SuperJ

SuperJ
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 10, 2017
    Loc:
    St.Jacobs, ON, Canada
    I've ordered one based on this thread, should be here Friday or Monday.

21. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    It’s been said a few times elsewhere, but worth repeating here. If you need extensions, it’s usually cheaper to just buy a second full kit, which will give you the length you need, along with a spare head, door plastic, and drill adapter.

I have never used the plastic sheeting, I just do it with the door open and a big-ass shop vac hose running in the stove. I’ve never had any dust come out into the room, that I can see.

Bigger_Al likes this.
  22. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    One thing we do that does help if you are running through an area with sharp edges or even a tight turn is we run our rods through a lenghth of flexible plastic conduit. It keeps the rods from getting cut up and minimizes the rods kinking at the fittings. It also works well if you are going through a cleanout you can stuff something around that conduit to help contain dust.

blacktail and Ashful like this.
  23. showrguy

showrguy
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Aug 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Marysville, Pa.
    Where are you guys finding the kits with the white rods ??
    All the ones I have seen all have the black rods..

24. shoot-straight

shoot-straight
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 5, 2012
    Loc:
    Kennedyville, MD
    i have a 10/12 roof with a masonry chimney that sits "off" the roofline, and up several feet. i have a crazy, well insured chinmey sweep jump out to it to clean and inspect every year or so for insurance purposes. i use the sooteater maybe 1-2 times a season when we get a warm spell. it works pretty darn good, but getting the garbage from behind the bypass door is a pain. easier to get it out if you pull the combustor, but then you need a new gasket.

25. SuperJ

SuperJ
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 10, 2017
    Loc:
    St.Jacobs, ON, Canada
    Can you just lift your stove pipe off the stove with the bypass closed and vacuum it?