Soot Eater - Yay or Nay?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My sooteater arrived last week.
I have a 6” flue, do I trim the nylon ends a bit?

My sooteater arrived last week.
I have a 6” flue, do I trim the nylon ends a bit?

I did. Thought they had a diagram/description included in the directions? The ones I am sure you read;lol Sorry! Had to say that. Maybe I am dreaming? Thought it was detailed in the paperwork.

D4BC68A7-CC91-46C5-9115-CA4EF555F4DE.jpeg
I did. Thought they had a diagram/description included in the directions? The ones I am sure you read;lol Sorry! Had to say that. Maybe I am dreaming? Thought it was detailed in the paperwork.
Thanks moresnow.

Here are my detailed instructions:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will clip it down to 7” I think
Sounds like a good place to start. I need a replacement. I should have left mine a touch longer to begin with. Its well used equipment now and showing wear. Good tool.

Reactions: Diabel
The other side is blank.

I just use standard brush and clean from outside. No Drill. Rods attach and the 8" Chimney gets cleaned. Was doing it about 4x a year (Hey Retired, gotta keep busy). Changed to pellet stove. Got brush for inside and will clean it at 1 Ton Mark (Jan I bet). It's really night and day the amount of ash and by products produced with Pellet vs Wood (BK King).

Sounds like a good place to start. I need a replacement. I should have left mine a touch longer to begin with. Its well used equipment now and showing wear. Good tool.

If you don't already know, you can just replace with weedeater line.

Reactions: Diabel
I just use standard brush and clean from outside. No Drill. Rods attach and the 8" Chimney gets cleaned. Was doing it about 4x a year (Hey Retired, gotta keep busy). Changed to pellet stove. Got brush for inside and will clean it at 1 Ton Mark (Jan I bet). It's really night and day the amount of ash and by products produced with Pellet vs Wood (BK King).
Wait till your first cleaning to decide that.

But regardless rotary cleaning from the bottom has completly changed our buisness. I can now clean faster better and with less risk than before. And i dont need to carry 8 to 10 different brushes.

326B9144-1375-48DB-A1AB-5814D64BCF10.jpeg
So I was about to use Ashful smart idea and instead of trimming the ends to bring it down to say 7” total span. I decided to pull the head apart remove the nylon cords, cut them in half and bingo. It appears that they are bunched together in fives and machine clamped in the middle. I can likely pry it open but putting it back together might be tough.

I got this from amazon and on the site for this item manufacturer instructions it indicates that this side fits all. Is this possible.

I tried cleaning through the bipass, got the head through, but was getting stuck on that little offset a few inches higher..
Did'nt wanna bend it anymore, not sure how much it'll flex before it snaps..