soot leaking out of pipe seam during chimney sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MissMac

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2017
NW Ontario
Hey there fellas. Just swept the chimney, and had a bit of soot leak out the double-walled stove pipe I think at the connection where the telescopic piece connects to the stove-top adapter piece (in the pic, at that top crimped seam just below the screw). I know that soot is pretty fine, but is this indicative of a potential issue with my pipe (like the fact that some soot came out of the pipe and landed on top of the stove)? If I slide the telescopic piece up, the inside of the double wall funnels down into the adapter piece, so it just seems weird to me that soot somehow came out of the pipe system and landed on top of my stove. I'm still learning, and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

IMG_5390.jpeg

Did the soot fall out when you slid the telescoping section down to the adapter? Could it have been from the inner pipe when you raised the telescoping section and got soot sprinkled on the outer wall?
What brand of stove pipe?

Did the soot fall out when you slid the telescoping section down to the adapter? Could it have been from the inner pipe when you raised the telescoping section and got soot sprinkled on the outer wall?
What brand of stove pipe?
No, i haven't done anything to disconnect the pipe at all. The whole thing stayed put together and my friend just ran the chimney brush down the length of the chimney to the stove top. It's selkirk pipe.

I get no debris falling out of my duravent double wall inside the house. I do get a bunch flung on the roof when the bristles clean the cap.

These stoves are draft sensitive and while the pipes aren’t super pressure sealed, any big openings could spoil draft.