Soot on glass buck 21 stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Indiana Mike

Mar 21, 2018
Indiana
I have a new buck 21 stove with glass in door. The problem is soot build up on the glass
on left side of window. About 3-4 inches the rest of glass stays clean. Please help. The
stove has air wash system for glass, using dry wood .

It could be the gasket is not sealing well on the hinge side. With the door open look for sooting on the gasket. Try pinching gently and fluffing up the gasket a little on that side to see if that improves the seal there.

I run a Buck 91. The air wash is great and takes care of the center of the glass. I will have a little buildup on both sides of glass with it being a slightly larger area on the left.

If you have any build up at all on the outer rim of the stove where the gasket meets, clean it and then as begreen says fluff your gasket. If it continues to build up any on the rim area after that then replacement of the gasket may be in order.

Thank you for the info. Tried pinching gasket around of the door, no soot on gasket but some areas had little compression on gasket.
No change on soot on window area . Working with Buck dealer he has new door coming mid week will see ?

Kudos to the dealer for a quick response. Try placing a long straight edge along the gasket areas and see if the door is flat or slightly warped.

Update: New door by dealer two fires after install no change soot on door left side by hinges.
Looks like a funnel shape about 1" wide at top to about 3-4 " wide at bottom. Tried burning
hot fire no help. Door seems to fit better. Any help???