Soot on siding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pajasonc

Dec 3, 2009
PA
Hi I was looking for some help with a problem I am having with getting soot on my siding. I recently installed a us stove model 6500 in my new home. I have a cleanout T then 3 1/2 feet of pipe then a ninety then 1' through the wall then another cleanout T 1' of rise then another 90 with a horizontal cap. The pipe is about 12 or 18 inches from my house and about 3 feet below my siding. The problem is I am getting soot on the side of my house. Its only been 1 week since I started burning but there is visibile soot on the side of the house above the horizontal vent. Any Ideas on what to do or any help would be appreciated! Thanks

pajasonc said:
Hi I was looking for some help with a problem I am having with getting soot on my siding. I recently installed a us stove model 6500 in my new home. I have a cleanout T then 3 1/2 feet of pipe then a ninety then 1' through the wall then another cleanout T 1' of rise then another 90 with a horizontal cap. The pipe is about 12 or 18 inches from my house and about 3 feet below my siding. The problem is I am getting soot on the side of my house. Its only been 1 week since I started burning but there is visibile soot on the side of the house above the horizontal vent. Any Ideas on what to do or any help would be appreciated! Thanks

I don't understand why you have a second tee, and an extra 90 degree afterwards, sounds like to many places for soot to settle and too much resistance to the combustion air flow.

A horizontal termination needs to be at least 2 feet from the house, check your install manual.

If it is a vertical termination it must be above your roof by the amount indicated in your install manual.

Could the reason for the soot on the siding be due to the prevailing wind is blowing the soot back toward the house?? And as Smokey says, it might help to extend the outside pipe so the vent cap is a minimum of 2' away from the side of the house.

Also, as Smokey mentioned, you have too many bends in the exhaust set-up. Right from your owners manual, it says so:

"Use no more than 180 degrees of elbows (two 90-degree elbows, or two 45-degree and one 90-degree elbow, etc.) to maintain adequate draft..........90-degree elbows accumulate fly ash and soot thereby reducing exhaust flow and performance of the furnace. Each elbow or tee reduces draft potential by 30% to 50%."

While you may not be able to change the set-up you have, it is going to require more often cleanings, and the stove will not perform up to it's ability since it's being "choked" by so many bends.

I hope you read and knew this before installing the set-up you have.

Had no choice on the number of elbows. I needed to come up to 5/12 feet then out through the basement wall, that just took me to ground level and I needed the other elbows to get the 18" min from the ground. I could move horizontal vent out another 1' but I do believe the reason is the wind at times is blowing the soot back towards the house. I plan on cleaning the cleanout T's once a week. Do you think the extra foot of distance from the house would help?

pajasonc said:
.......Do you think the extra foot of distance from the house would help?

Can't hurt, and might be a cheap solution, but if it's the wind blowing the soot back, not much your going to do to stop that.

What is at ground level around the exit point of the vent pipe?

Hopefully where your vent is, is not where the prevailing winds come from.

Frequently in a basement install one can have the stove out from the wall and use a 45 degree to 45 degree to exit the building followed by a T and straight up to above the roof line. The vertical run might wind up being 4 inch instead of 3 inch.

Can you post a picture of your horizontal cap, it might be that changing that would reduce the amount of soot that gets back to the house.

How is your fire?

Way to much pipe. Soot means an incomplete combustion. You need to go to 4" diameter pipe or shorten your run.

Eric

Smokey currently it is open where the pipe comes out of my basement wall as my excavator has yet to fill it in but when filled the ground will be near the bottom of the cleanout T and the horizontal vent is will be about 18" above ground.
I changed my settings from a auto mode to manual mode and the problem doesnt seem to be getting worse. When on auto the stove glass was getting black after only about 5 hours, today I switched over to manual mode and it was still clear after 8 hours. Hoping that with the stove seeming to be burning cleaner it will at least lessen the problem I will try and take a photo of how I have the pipe running and post it.

Whoa, when did this change from soot on the siding to soot on the glass in the stove.

Time out, one problem at a time.

I was getting corn fallout all over the porch. Really ugly nasty stuff much worse than pellet debris. I just ran mine up another 6 feet so it cleared the soffit vent and roof line. Real easy to do and effective. The fallout now either goes on the roof and into the gutter or blows away with the wind but at least it's not on the house. I wish my Countryside glass would stay clean for 5 hours, more like 30 minutes and that's about all I get ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.