Sooteater or off brand?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john26

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Wildwood MO
I need to buy a a rotary chimney brush kit I have heard great things about soot eater but I am tempted by the price on the off brand like on amazon and ebay my liner is 29'3"
offbrand 33' 2 heads $63
sooteater 33' 1 head $129

I need to buy a a rotary chimney brush kit I have heard great things about soot eater but I am tempted by the price on the off brand like on amazon and ebay my liner is 29'3"
offbrand 33' 2 heads $63
I'm not familiar with the off-brand. However, the SootEater is wonderful.

I bought a Sootblaster Pro off of A'zon because Sooteater was not available at the time. I've only used twice but so far it has been fine.

Also not sure about the off brands have a sooteater so far so good

I also bought a sooteater because there wasn't an off brand at the time. Pay attention to the reviews and the "bendy-ness" of the rods. You want a little give so you can attach more rods as you go up the chimney.
It's a fine gadget. Nothing special or un-replicatable. An off brand will probably do fine if it has enough give not to break. If it does, send it back. It's Amazon.

Also, let us know which one you get and how it goes! :)

I just ordered a Vevor 52' rotary cleaner 16 rods and 1 head for $78 I guess I waited too long the more common lengths were sold out. At least I will have some spare rods if I ever put a stove in the basement I will have enough length.

Reactions: GadDummit
I'd be a bit wary of knockoffs.

Considering the nightmare that would occur in my situation if a coupling came loose or a stick broke half-way up the pipe. I'd be screwed.

Reactions: moresnow
I love it when competition pops up that forces the name brand guy with a monopoly to lower their price. I own the sooteater but see no reason to prefer that brand over any other that offers the same product for half the price. The real question is whether the newcomer is equivalent. Sometimes they are even better.

offbrand 33' 2 heads $63
I hate to say it but check Walmart online. I got the SootEater 24' for $68.00. If you need m or length you can get extensions. Or buy 2 and have extra rods and 2 heads.

I got the vevor the other day it seems to be good quality nice flexible rods and locks seem very good but no directions on how long to trim the whips my guess is 3.25" from center to make a 6.5" brush?

Cleaned 2 chimneys tonight with sooteater knock off (vevor) $78 on ebay 1 head, 1 drill adapter, 16 1meter rods total of 52 foot
The overall quality seem very good the rods very very flexible and the locks seem to work well. The whips are spiral weed eater looking line head seems fairly heavy. I have 2 complaints first it does it give you a length to trim the whips. Second the bottom allen holding the lower whips in place was very tight I hope its not stripped. I cut the whips 3.5" from the edge of the head it doesn't fit tight in the liner because the whips are curved back , but when it spins the straighten out. It worked very well easily spun and feed up and down in the liner. se2.jpgse1.jpgse.jpg

here is before and after cleaning my Napoleon 1401 and the last pic is my Lopi Freedomse3.jpgse5.jpgse4.jpgse6.jpg

Whip length is an interesting topic for any of these rotary cleaners. The sooteater directions have you cut them very short and I think it causes missed areas near the stove due to the bend in the rods pushing the head back. If you cut them too long, that curve means you aren’t using the sharp and stiff tips to clean.

I don’t know.