Spaced out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
came home to wife saying she forgot to turn primary air down after putting in a bit of wood. Details- she said she put in about 3 small to medium splits And that primary air was fully open for about 30 to 40 minutes (luckily she normally put in only partial loads when she is home). I came home at the end of that time period and stove top was at about 475 or so, and it looked one piece of wood was still offgassing a bit while whatever else was coaling. Not a large amount of coaling in the stove, which I am hoping supports idea that the amount of wood in there was relatively small. I will give the stove and liner a good look when weather gets a bit warmer. Does this sound like an event that would cause damage to stove or liner?

Getting in the habit of using your phone timer will pay off, sooner or later.

I don't think 475 is very hot at all. The stove should be fine. If you got up in the 650 range you should maybe be more concerned.

I don't think 475 is very hot at all. The stove should be fine. If you got up in the 650 range you should maybe be more concerned.

It seemed like the 475 reading was when the stove temp was on the decline.

Agree. I don't see a problem here. Even up in the 750 range. Shouldn't be a problem.

If the 475 was at the end of the burn, of course the stove had higher temps b4 you got to it.
But, with only 3 splits in there (unless they were black locust) I wouldn't think the temps maintained too much over 650-700 for very long.
The one split you saw off gassing may have been one off to the side and getting air last. (even more encouraging because that means only 2 splits actually burn away while the primary was open)