Split-Fire splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomahawk

May 13, 2013
Skagit County, WA
I rented one of these for the first time last week and all I can say is "WOW." We were able to split about 5 cord of wood in around 7 hours. A lot of it was this twisted, nasty pine but the splitter went through most of it with no problems. It had the four way wedge and it split in both directions, with 2-3 of us working on it we flew through the wood. (now if there was an easy way to stack it all) If they weren't so expensive I would seriously look into a purchase of one. My only issue was that when you are down to just one person it is not near as efficient but what is? I will be renting this awesome machine next year again after I stockpile some more wood again.

split.JPG

This is not the one we rented but just a image search of one. The one we rented had a hydraulic lift on it, that we never used but I could see it being handy.

Reactions: Soundchasm
How much would one cost like that in the USA ?
How much to rent?
I'm looking into a splitter soon.......

It was $97 for a day to rent. The guy there told me that they are about $5000 to buy. Great machine but way too much for me to even consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.