Split some of the Weekend White Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
artmos said:
Great stuff chief! i've got a massive white oak of my own to c/s/s. starting tomorrow,if the flurries in the forecast stay as only flurries. neighbor farmer gave it to me-only a mile away. got all the saws primed and fueled-ready to rip! i will definitely be looking for the colors after reading your post! by the way- tuscola was one of my old bird hunting stamping grounds-specifically leroy,camargo,indianola,downtown cooks mills! most of the old farmers from back in the day are now surely gone. what a great time to be alive(40 yrs. ago).birds all over the place. pheasants,wild quail and more rabbits than you can imagine. oh well, thats history. art
Holy Cow artmos. Camargo is about a stones throw from me. I too bird hunted here then, Hosted friends from Southern IL and all over, Back then they used to write us (Douglas County) up in Field and Stream and Sports Illustrated as one of the hot spots in the Nation for pheasant hunting. Even better than the Dakotas back then. And yes, most of those old farmers are gone, with there farming practices. Now, they plow everything black at the end of the season, have ripped out all the fence rows, cleared all the ditch and river banks and there simply isn't anyplace left for the pheasants to live, roost, or bread, and nothing for them to eat. We still have pheasants but very few.......nothing like back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.