Split some of the Weekend White Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
I split some of the weekend White Oak Sunday and mostly wanted you all to see the diverse colors of the wood/grain......all from the same tree. Sorry, my cell phone pics are a little washed out, but you can see in the closeup that some of the wood is white, some brown, and some red, all from the same white oak. I have never seen this before, all in one tree.

Attachments

• 2012 White Oak Splitting.jpg
    2012 White Oak Splitting.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 532
  • 2012 White Oak Splitting 2.jpg
    2012 White Oak Splitting 2.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 523
  • White Oak.jpg
    White Oak.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 555
  • White Oak splits 2012.jpg
    White Oak splits 2012.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 554
Cheif that is probably one of my favorite woods, that white oak.....I love the way it smells when you split it and when you burn it.....Haven't got any of that this past year. I have around 20 big standing deads up in the neighbors farm, but can't get them til we get snow.......nice cache!

nice job chief, love the smell of fresh split white oak.

Scott, One of my favorite woods if not number one all around. Smells good, burns great, seasons better than most oak.' Good luck getting those 20 big ones out.

maxed out, It does smell really good.

You guys ever see that much diverse color in one White Oak?

tfdchief said:
Scott, One of my favorite woods if not number one all around. Smells good, burns great, seasons better than most oak.' Good luck getting those 20 big ones out.

It definately has some nice colors.....I can't say I have seen that much variation in any of the whites that I have cut recently.......

Very different colors of wood in the white oak I'm splitting. Some splits out of the center of the rounds are solid dark wood.
I also have some rounds that have this yellowish spongy looking material in the middle. I'm assuming that its some kinda mold or fungus?

here are a few pics

Attachments

• IMG_8246.jpg
    IMG_8246.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_8248.jpg
    IMG_8248.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_8247.jpg
    IMG_8247.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 421
I have split lots of White Oak and never saw much variation in color. Never any red color at all.

Your just showing off that splitter chief %-P Wood stacks look very nice

Pete

gizmos said:
Very different colors of wood in the white oak I'm splitting. Some splits out of the center of the rounds are solid dark wood.
I also have some rounds that have this yellowish spongy looking material in the middle. I'm assuming that its some kinda mold or fungus?

here are a few pics
gizmos, that looks typical of dead white oak.

Pete1983 said:
Your just showing off that splitter chief %-P Wood stacks look very nice

Pete
Thanks, and yeah, I really like my splitter. Split for 35 years by hand, everything! Then it started hurting to much and my son had to help me to much, so I bought my Brave 22 ton going on 4 years ago. Wish I would have done it a long time ago. I enjoy splitting again. :)

I've seen oak that was quite pink or salmon inside. Kinda wish it hadn't been cut up in rounds and split but in 6 months or so the color faded with the light of day and was gone .

Not familiar with the oaks that you guys have back east so this may not hold true. When I was working in the southwest US and having to i.d. oaks it was very difficult. The ones that they have there will cross pollinate with other oaks in the area. Made it pretty tough to narrow down the specie.

Definitely one of my favorites,and when stored properly will last longer than we'll be around. A friend of ours home is white oak and 250 years old,the home is in Monterey Virginia amazing. I'll get a link and post later.

Scotty Overkill said:
Cheif that is probably one of my favorite woods, that white oak.....I love the way it smells when you split it and when you burn it.....Haven't got any of that this past year. I have around 20 big standing deads up in the neighbors farm, but can't get them til we get snow.......nice cache!
Nice cache, indeed...great stuff! We've got plenty here, but it's long-lived. I have a blow-down in the woods, not real big, and I'm working up a scrounge right now; White Oak, Pignut and Ash. Glad to hear the White may dry a little quicker. IMO, nothing beats the split smell of a White Oak round that has been "curing" for a couple of years.

Woody Stover said:
Scotty Overkill said:
Nice cache, indeed...great stuff! We've got plenty here, but it's long-lived. I have a blow-down in the woods, not real big, and I'm working up a scrounge right now; White Oak, Pignut and Ash. Glad to hear the White may dry a little quicker. IMO, nothing beats the split smell of a White Oak round that has been "curing" for a couple of years.
I agree woody! Get after that blowdown before the snow and cold sets in!

Chief I was thinking about that wood........the color variation probably has something to do with theway mineral make-up in the soil.....is there a lot of red clay or red slate in your area? Now you got me thinking....... :roll:

gizmos said:
here are a few pics

Looks like punky wood to me . . . no issues . . . just keep it dry.

Scotty Overkill said:
Chief I was thinking about that wood........the color variation probably has something to do with theway mineral make-up in the soil.....is there a lot of red clay or red slate in your area? Now you got me thinking....... :roll:
No, East Central IL, along the Kaskaskia River, the soil is dark and rich.

I split and burn a lot of white oak. Much of it is old growth dead/dieing. Yep, I have seen the colors change from the base to the branches. Don't know why. I love it when I load the stove with a bunch of squared off splits packed in there. I get fantastic performance and longevity out of the stove.

tfdchief said:
I split some of the weekend White Oak Sunday and mostly wanted you all to see the diverse colors of the wood/grain......all from the same tree. Sorry, my cell phone pics are a little washed out, but you can see in the closeup that some of the wood is white, some brown, and some red, all from the same white oak. I have never seen this before, all in one tree.

Looks great tfdchief, how long for that to season?

zap

zapny said:
tfdchief said:

Looks great tfdchief, how long for that to season?

zap
I don't need it for 2 years maybe 3 so it should have plenty of time. I have burned white oak after one good year and it does better than the other oaks. IMO

Great stuff chief! i've got a massive white oak of my own to c/s/s. starting tomorrow,if the flurries in the forecast stay as only flurries. neighbor farmer gave it to me-only a mile away. got all the saws primed and fueled-ready to rip! i will definitely be looking for the colors after reading your post! by the way- tuscola was one of my old bird hunting stamping grounds-specifically leroy,camargo,indianola,downtown cooks mills! most of the old farmers from back in the day are now surely gone. what a great time to be alive(40 yrs. ago).birds all over the place. pheasants,wild quail and more rabbits than you can imagine. oh well, thats history. art

tfdchief said:

Probably not fair realizing I was employed as a sawyer in a mill a few moons ago. Yes, I've seen it.

Backwoods Savage said:
tfdchief said:

Probably not fair realizing I was employed as a sawyer in a mill a few moons ago. Yes, I've seen it.
Great, I know I am not the only one to see this. Just the first time for me. Thanks Dennis.

Status
Not open for further replies.