Split, stacked and seasoned for 5 months - is that enough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adel9

Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2007
Proud owner of a 2 week old Lopi Revere insert here! I'm trying to find well-seasoned wood here on Long Island and it appears that's easier said than done. I just contacted a seller on Craig's List and they told me that their wood has been split and stacked for 5 months (advertised as "seasoned"). Is that long enough? I'm planning on buying from this seller now for next year's wood but could I use any this year?

I just got delivery on Friday of a cord of wood from a well-known supplier, advertised as seasoned, cost a fortune, looks ok (gray ends, some cracking), but burns pretty poorly (lots of hissing, poor flaming, poor heat, etc). I'm wondering if the 5-month wood would serve my needs better?

The stove that was such a pleasure to operate has now become a thorn in my side since I used up all last year's wood. Is there any hope for this season? Does anyone know of a good wood supplier on Long Island they could recommend? Email [email protected] - I'm desperate !

If its oak i'd say no here on L.I. I bucked and split 1.5 cords in June. It burns, but not near as well as the 15 month stuff I'm burning now. Even the 1 year old stuff could be just a tad bit drier but I'm into that stuff by the end of the month.

not likely, unless it's all ash. some Pine will burn o.k. if it was in the sun. My experience says that's next years wood.

Thanks. I'm thinking it's next year's wood, too. I think buying burn-now wood is a pipe dream.

If you lived in North Idaho I have some I could sell ya. (Red Fir Seasoned about a year)

Going to try and sell a couple cords when the cold snap hits to fund a 346XP Chainsaw.

FROM LI and I second that.

I need at least another cord.
WHAT you need is a person with a wood pile sitting in the back yard they dont care about.
for $100. they'd be psyc'd to sell ya. i started asking around work. worth a shot.

thats the route i'm taking now.

BUT HECK YEA... if anyone has a good LI/Suffolk County seasoned wood supply please pm me also.

I found a tree guy here that is selling oak for $120/cord, and mixed hardwoods for $100/cord, but I pick it up. Doesn't seem too bad. He says it was from trees felled last Spring, and it was split this Summer. I'm thinking I'll try to get whatever's the most seasoned and get a cord here soon....

I just started burning some 4-5 month old stuff after burning year plus old stuff. Big difference. Normally I only burn year old plus stuff but I have to burn some 4-5 month old stuff to get thru the winter (I won't do that again!!).

If you cannot find any dry wood maybe you could mix what you have with bio bricks (say half and half). It might help. It will cost you but it might burn better.

I am mixing the 4-5 month old stuff with the year plus old stuff (half and half) to get thru the heating season.

Moral of story: Always be one year ahead with fire wood. Always be one year ahead with fire wood. Always be one year ahead with fire wood. Always be one year ahead with fire wood. Always be one year ahead with fire wood. Always be one year ahead with fire wood.

If you can get some ash like Warren suggested I think you would be surprised at the heat output. I cut and split some back in April and just this past week we had rain for over 6 hours straight. I brought the wood straight from the stack and put it in my insert and was shocked at the heat it had.

Other hard woods do need some more time to get aged as they say. I would suggest shopping around before just buying some wood that someone says is seasoned.

Shipper

If you absoulty must have something to burn this year, I would (also) recomend the Bio-Brick route.
Much to late to be trying to buy and 'Seasoned" wood- you will be throwing away 50+% of your money with poor wood.
I'm sure the Bio's will burn better- give much better heat, and no sizzle.
Read up on them- they burn HOT- don't stuff your stove with them.

If it was just cut 5 months ago and split, you are barking up the wrong tree.

TWO... YES 2 good years to get it well seasoned.

We burn 95% Oak (white/red/black) and we harvest it ourselves, all dead falls, if we put something in our stove we can feel the difference if it is 2-3-4 years seasoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.