Splitter Height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Although we have a horizontal/vertical, I much prefer the 3 pt hitch vertical unit. Set the foot on the ground to break down the large rounds, then hit the lever to pick it up to a comfortable height to finish the job, or to split smaller rounds. I very often break the large rounds down to manageable size then hook the trailer up to the splitter tractor and stack the wagon as I split.

Have had a horizontal/vertical splitter since 1988. I guess it has an optimal height for horizontal. I don't know. I have never split a single stick horizontal. Why would anybody ever want to?

I have a bad back too. I cut a round to sit on that is the right height to not make my back hurt. And when I split it I know the job is finished.
I prefer to work standing up, and it is hard to move logs under a vertical splitter.