Splitter overhaul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gearhead660

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2018
Southern WI
Was thinking of getting a new splitter a while ago. Mine worked fine, just didn't have all the things I wanted. So I decided to just fix the old one up. Replaced the hoses and moved the control valve so it was easier to reach from left side so I didn't have to stand next to the motor. Also built a couple log catchers/ racks and slapped some paint on it. Got about $75 invested. 20210116_141003.jpg
Before.
20210122_190706.jpg
After.

That cleaned up the old girl pretty nicely. Maybe consider a guard for the motor and pump???

Will see if the log catcher is adequate. Surprised i havent had any logs fall on it before. But I was standing next to pump before...

Looks nice. You may need that guard. Your old one is probably a better splitter than a new one would have been.
Not sure what brand it is, think its just some off brand. But its got power. If it can't split something, it just cuts right through it.

Other than a few differences it looks similar to mine which is a Brave. Mine is a 20 ton, I've replace the Briggs with a 6hp predator motor. Splits great and there's not a lot it wont do.

Reactions: Gearhead660
I just use one log catcher on mine, so I can stand closer to the beam.

I just use one log catcher on mine, so I can stand closer to the beam.
The log catchers are bolt on and can go on either side. Will see what works best and move them around.

Looks great, nice job! Well worth fixing up a few a few things. The beam is a time tested design. It looks like it goes vertical. That's a requirement for me.

So you reversed where you stand. To the opposite side from the motor. I think that's normal for most machines. One issue on many machines is the front to back position of the engine. The best location is to the tow hitch side of the axle / oil tank. My MTD's engine is forward of the oil tank with the pump under the engine. Falling split's sometimes bounces off the tire, but not the engine.

I would look closer at your split drop zone. If it hits the pump it could crack the castings. I would add few pieces of flat stock that straddle the oil tank and attach to the log catcher.

Curious about the log catcher. Did you make them? And how do they attach to the beam?

That turned out very nice

Reactions: Gearhead660
Looks great, nice job! Well worth fixing up a few a few things. The beam is a time tested design. It looks like it goes vertical. That's a requirement for me.

So you reversed where you stand. To the opposite side from the motor. I think that's normal for most machines. One issue on many machines is the front to back position of the engine. The best location is to the tow hitch side of the axle / oil tank. My MTD's engine is forward of the oil tank with the pump under the engine. Falling split's sometimes bounces off the tire, but not the engine.

I would look closer at your split drop zone. If it hits the pump it could crack the castings. I would add few pieces of flat stock that straddle the oil tank and attach to the log catcher.

Curious about the log catcher. Did you make them? And how do they attach to the beam?
Made them out of square tubing and angle iron. They bolt on the beam.