Splitter upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan Pijpelink

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2015
South Jersey
Went from a 7 ton electric to a slighty larger (20 ton) gasoline splitter.

Paid $300 for it. IMG_0881.JPG IMG_0882.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You might notice a difference!
Good score!

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Looks like it's it decent shape. What is it and how old? One issue, if your doing big rounds, having the splitter that goes vertical is real nice.

Looks like it's it decent shape. What is it and how old? One issue, if your doing big rounds, having the splitter that goes vertical is real nice.

It is a Sachs-Dolmar. I asked Dolmar about some details. All they know it has been discontinued a while ago. It has a 5 HP B&S engine and is 20+ ton. I was looking for a vertical/horizontal one but for $300 in this shape, I could not let this one go. The rounds I split usually are not that big. Just this season I have some big ones from an 80 year old Oak that was taken down a few weeks ago.

I used it for the first time today. Split about 3/4 cord stringy wood. Plenty of knots. Mainly oak. Logs were about 24 inch long and 12 inch wide. Splits like a dream. Very happy with my purchase.

Reactions: Jon1270
Looks like a nice little splitter. At its current height a couple of staged pallets might be all it takes to roll the big rounds up on it (and maybe even second as a work platform).

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Status
Not open for further replies.