Splitter wedge sharpness

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Manly

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2017
CT
I have an old (1970) John Deere splitter I purchased used and have been using about 20 years now. It’s 5 hp and the wedge is fixed to the I beam frame. I don’t believe the wedge has ever been sharpened. It is pretty well rounded at the edge. It will typically go through anything I can lift onto the machine. Occasionally It will bog down or jam into a gnarled round. Should the wedge ever need sharpening? Would it help on the knotty pieces? Some years ago I did take a drill powered stone to the edge, but it had little effect on the wedge. Seems like pretty hard steel. Never bothered again since it goes through most of what I throw at it. Would be nice if it went through everything. I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on wedge sharpening.

Reactions: Todd67
Yes, it can help a lot. Wedge is like a slow motion axe head. I hand file mine, made a big difference and takes a load off of your splitter.

I tend to leave my wedge dull. On a round that has a wavy grain, the wedge will tend to jam into the side of the split. I figure a dull wedge will glance off the side and follow the widening split, rather than dig in if it is somewhat dull rather than very sharp. That is just my thinking, but what say you?

Reactions: Todd67 and Jags
I tend to leave my wedge dull. On a round that has a wavy grain, the wedge will tend to jam into the side of the split. I figure a dull wedge will glance off the side and follow the widening split, rather than dig in if it is somewhat dull rather than very sharp. That is just my thinking, but what say you?

My wedge has been dull forever and I generally have no problems. On some big pieces of gnarly locust or maple I have stalled out and jammed up on occasions. Didn’t know if a sharp wedge would help in these situations. It’s a small splitter but very little stops it.

I hand file mine . A grinder may cause to much heat
and the wedge my lose some of its temper .It only
takes a few strokes of a good file every couple of years

I can see no advantages to having a dull wedge. From the factory, they come with a pretty acute/sharp tip.

Years ago I bought an old home made splitter that had a very dull wedge. Sharpened it up and the time to split difference and the ease was very noticeable.

Why put that extra strain on the motor, pump, ram and structures? I don't think you need it razor sharp, but I file mine to fairly sharp with a few strokes at the end of every season.

Reactions: Todd67 and Lone_Gun
Mine is quite sharp. It cuts right thru knots. Its made of the edge of a bulldozer blade or something similar and really holds an edge.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

You mention knots. That's the biggest improvement I saw was on super gnarly knots. The file sharpened wedge slices through like a slow speed bread knife, and makes a clean shear cut. Dull wedges struggle and the splitter works a ton harder on those. Also the sharp wedge doesn't make a mess out nasty knotty crotch of oak, where the dull wedge has tons of problems.

I like to keep mine sharp with a hand file, but not quite as sharp as an axe. As was mentioned earlier, I like to keep it the way it was when it was new.

Reactions: jaoneill
I like to keep mine sharp with a hand file, but not quite as sharp as an axe. As was mentioned earlier, I like to keep it the way it was when it was new.

My wedge is pretty dull, rounded on edge. I’m thinking l will need to use a powered stone to bring it back, then finish it off with a file.

Reactions: jaoneill and Todd67
I've noticed that it splits through knotted hard maple a lot better when it is sharp. If I let it get too dull it tends to fold the log at the knot rather than split through it.

Reactions: jaoneill
My wedge is pretty dull, rounded on edge. I’m thinking l will need to use a powered stone to bring it back, then finish it off with a file.
Sharp seems better. I'd go after it with the angle grinder, just go easy to avoid overheating. Slow and light.

Sharp seems better. I'd go after it with the angle grinder, just go easy to avoid overheating. Slow and light.

That was my plan of attack. I will give it a go this winter, if we don’t get snowed under. Angle grinder followed by hand filling. I will say some years ago I tried sharpening the wedge with just a file and that steel was very hard. Didn’t make any progress with the file only.

I think they are all made with hardened steel. Mine isn't easy to sharpen with a file either. I'm done splitting wood until next year but my plan next year is to touch up the wedge after every cord I split. I'm also due to invest in a high quality file again. Those cheap files don't work very well on hardened steel.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Hard steel indeed. My splitter was built in 1970 and the entire unit is hard steel. I forget the name of the manufacturer but mine was branded John Deere. Low and compact, it will split anything I can lay on its I-beam frame. Quite a mighty little beast. Curious what a sharpened wedge will do for performance. It’s been very dull for many years. I split about 3.5 cord a year.

Hard steel indeed. My splitter was built in 1970 and the entire unit is hard steel. I forget the name of the manufacturer but mine was branded John Deere. Low and compact, it will split anything I can lay on its I-beam frame. Quite a mighty little beast. Curious what a sharpened wedge will do for performance. It’s been very dull for many years. I split about 3.5 cord a year.

You'll like it, especially on the knots and crotches.