Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That's nucking futz.

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
Reactions: Ashful
I'm shocked these guys can still count to ten on their fingers. More shocked they don't have the nick name "stumpy".

I think the key is inertia with a large wheel and slow speed rather than a smaller wheel and speed.

Most of the dangerous units have a small table and the wheel travels too fast.

https://offgridworld.com/wheel-of-d...gerous-useless-epically-stupid-wood-splitter/

The key is energy, and where will it go if everything goes wrong. (Force=mass x acceleration)For example what if the round does not split? The wheel ain't stopping, the round ain't splitting. Where will the energy go? My guess is right towards the operator. The other part is that big open wheel. I saw one of these on the swedish homestead (much better you tube than sell out Wstar) the wheel was covered and the operator stood to the side. I will get a link of I can find it later tonight.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

When a logger is finished felling a widow maker, unscathed, he uses one of these widow maker log splitters to finish the job. But then, his family tree looks more like a wreath, lol.

Reactions: MrWhoopee

Here is the link to that splitter

I saw that video but he could not get it started.

Being pretty far north, the Swedes have mostly smaller diameter birch and the like. The also seem to like their wood cut short (12 in.). This thing could be really exciting with tough wood and your not going to be processing any big stuff.

When a logger is finished felling a widow maker, unscathed, he uses one of these widow maker log splitters to finish the job. But then, his family tree looks more like a wreath, lol.

In my wasted youth, I was a budding chemist. I used to split oak firewood this way in our back yard. Only I used high explosives. The police showed up. Ahhhh, youth!

If you watch the link he has in the description, you can see the larger round being pushed back at the lady using it. It would get exciting with some oak or hickory or locust.

Here is the link to that splitter

I find it odd that he didn't bother to do the weed-eating and test the splitter before he started recording, and then went ahead and posted the video even though there was nothing to show.