splittin wood and spiders what a day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what happened to the split

J/K :)

My best wishes to the OP, I hope this turns out the best it can for you.

I've been pondering this thread today and there is something that is troubling me that I need to get off my chest.

Is anyone else disturbed by the fact the firefighterjake, that bastion of what is right in America and the hero of children everywhere, calls his willie Mr. Winkie? ;-)

I knew a guy who was bit by a brown recluse in the shoulder and years later still had a hole where the bite occurred, still had pain everyday and lost some of the use of the muscle. Not fun.

northwinds said:
That's just awful.

Peeing in the woods is one of life's great pleasures for a man.

Glad we don't have black widows in Wisconsin.

Good luck explaining it to the wife and hope everything turns out ok.

That's just awful.

I sometimes pee on trees that I want to harvest so other loggers leave it alone. Just marking my territory.

WE have both the black widow and Brown recluse here in WI. While I have not personally seen a BW I have had the unfortunate acquaintance with the brown as well as the damn ticks. We have timber rattlers also which is why I keep a pistol with 410 shotshell handy when I am around their territory. Friend had one curled up under the fridge one year. His wife comes to us and says the fridge is making a strange sound every time she opened the door, made for an interesting afternoon.

blades said:
His wife comes to us and says the fridge is making a strange sound every time she opened the door, made for an interesting afternoon.

Angel.............Stranger's in the house...

i was bit about 10 years ago by a brown recluse and you can still see where it bit me it wasn't a bad bite thank god i've seen some of the pics of real bad ones, i was told then black widow bites were just as bad but thats not true after talkin to the doc this time. my wife had a hay day last night on the phone with every one, my dad was the first she had to tell. i'll take a pic of the one on my hand but i'm not gonna show a bunch of dudes my guy i don't go that way.it's not to bad yet just a little swelling some (muscle) spasums light headed and upset stomach so far but its been gittin worse as the day goes on. Doc has me goin in twice a day to check things out. and yes from now on im gonna check to make sure nothing is hitchin a ride before i pee.

I was peeing in the woods one day, when a Black Widow Spider came my way.................

Not a fortune teller here but I see cooler days for splitting in the future. Maybe even in the snow. Wish you well. Thank the Good Lord there were not more than there were.

Was down in Chincoteague, VA for vacation about 7 years ago....must have got bit when I was sleeping....woke up and took a pee...and said" Honey, can you come here for a second".....took a trip to the medical center about 30 minutes away, and when I told the nurse what happened, she said " i guess I should get the Dr" :)

Some pills and some ice for the swelling took care of things in a few days.

wendell said:

I've been pondering this thread today and there is something that is troubling me that I need to get off my chest.

Is anyone else disturbed by the fact the firefighterjake, that bastion of what is right in America and the hero of children everywhere, calls his willie Mr. Winkie? ;-)

Well I could call it Mr. Johnson . . . but that would be a little strange since Johnson is my last name. ;) :)

onedog said:
northwinds said:
That's just awful.

Peeing in the woods is one of life's great pleasures for a man.

Glad we don't have black widows in Wisconsin.

Good luck explaining it to the wife and hope everything turns out ok.

That's just awful.

I sometimes pee on trees that I want to harvest so other loggers leave it alone. Just marking my territory.

:) This one made my day.

Just make sure none of those spiders are around hoping to mark their territory . . . on Mr. Winkie . . or Mr. Johnson if you prefer. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
wendell said:

Well I could call it Mr. Johnson . . . but that would be a little strange since Johnson is my last name. ;) :)

Oh yeah, forgot to add . . . true story.

My Dad's name . . . William Johnson . . . that's right . . . goes by the knickname Willie Johnson . . . no one to my knowledge calls him Big Willie Johnson or Little Willie Johnson fortunately.

My Uncle's name . . . Richard Johnson . . . and he is known by some by his knickname . . . Dick Johnson.

Sometimes when I think of this I wonder what was going through my Grandmother's mind when she named her boys. ;) :)

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
HalfwittingLEE said:
I heard once somewhere, might have been BB, I can't remember but in the field you're supposed to treat a spider bite like a snake bite. Too bad your wife wasn't around when you got bit. Could have saved a trip to the emergency room! :zip:
Annnnnnyyyyywwway! Glad to hear you're allright.

In your wildest, end of your life, it ain't happening, dreams.

Where's Perp & Bobbin when ya need them ?

:lol:

Yeah. First thing I thought of is the old joke about the two guys in the woods and the snake bite. And the guy coming back and saying "They said you are going to die.".

I know i'll put these in my bag of gear next time im out stacking/splitting!

Attachments

• spidy2.jpg
    spidy2.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 277
Spiderman,Spiderman!! I wonder where you will shoot a web from?? LOL!!

Only bustin 'em, Seriously I hope you have a speedy recovery with nill symptoms..As a side note I'm glad for you that it wasn't a recluse bite.....:0

I hadn't seen a black widow in many years, even though this place is overrun with all sorts of spiders. Last week I pulled a rear wheel off of a car we drive all of the time and lo and behold one was on the inside of the back of the rim. Well, she was until the wrench smacked her.

Well I wonder how jdscj8's lower unit is doing? If there's no necrosis by now he should be on his way to a complete recovery.

Hope you have a speedy recovery. I got bit just above the knee by a brown recluse a few years ago. It was a real bad deal. I have a scar for life but it could have been much worse.

very sore. im doin to much runnin around. i goin to take this darn cottonwood down this afternoon one way or another

Status
Not open for further replies.