Splitting and stacking...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KaptJaq

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
I've been splitting some of the 30"+/- rounds of red oak I have gathered and I've run into a problem. I only took clean rounds and they split too straight. When I stack them there is no air space between the splits. I have to consciously leave gaps as I stack. This wood is going to take up too much space to season, I guess I should just dump it :(

Good thing about this problem is that when I burn the wood I will be able to get more into the insert. Think stacking 4x4s in the stove. Once again I'll probably have to offset the rounds a little to let some air into the fire :).

KaptJaq

Just cross stack like Bob mentioned.

I'll remember the problems you are having & not become a wood snob. LOL :) :)

Imagine the nice boards that those logs could have made :)

Reactions: albert1029
Imagine the nice boards that those logs could have made :)

They were all yard trees. To get clean rounds I left at least a third of the tree in the street...

KaptJaq

They were all yard trees. To get clean rounds I left at least a third of the tree in the street...

KaptJaq

Not sure I understand. Why leave them? Seems a waste. Also stacking those splits so they have air flow should be no problem.

Yard trees are suspect to be nail infested.............As are fence row trees. Ask me how I know.

Just took a big oak. Split and stacked same as you. 14" length...perfect for N--S loading in my insert...I stack my piles tight but I alternate as directed. Your oak will have to sit for a while....I don't think airflow will be an issue...There is plenty of air flow when the wind hits it. That is my oak and that is how I stack all my piles and they season fine and never fall over (yet, at least) photo.jpg

Not sure I understand. Why leave them?

Yard trees are constantly trimmed to get the desired appearance. They can have a few feet of straight trunk then a bulge where somebody cut off a branch and the remains are buried in the tree. Then another couple of feet of straight trunk before it splits into 3 or 4 12" limbs. I split by hand so on the 30" trunks I only took the straight sections. Even on the 12" limbs I only take straight sections. I leave the deformed sections where branches were cut off, the branch splits, and anything that looks like it had a hook, nail, fence, or anything else attached. There is still so much on the ground here I can be picky.

If I finish what I have gathered I can always go back for what I left on the first pass. At the rate our town is going it will be on the side of the road till spring.

Last year I would take anything. This year I am a wood snob.

KaptJaq

Status
Not open for further replies.