Splitting Done Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
The first tree was a topped off Hemlock which was down for 2-3 years, limbed it up then cut & split it. The next pictures are some rounds of White Pine I did last week, split them up then called it a day.

We have a nice area for stacking this which receives great sun with full wind so I'm hoping this will be ready for this coming fall. Pic 4618 will be a trail to that hill, we plan on planting some Northern Red Oak so once spring comes around we will see what it looks like up there.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4616.jpg
    100_4616.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 627
  • 100_4620.jpg
    100_4620.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 623
  • 100_4621.jpg
    100_4621.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 636
  • 100_4625.jpg
    100_4625.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 640
  • 100_4626.jpg
    100_4626.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 639
  • 100_4627.jpg
    100_4627.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 637
  • 100_4618.jpg
    100_4618.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 628
looking good Zap. How is the weather up there now? We've seen a significant drop in temps in the last hour or so, wind starting to pick up and heavy snow squalls.....I've been out tapping my maple trees, got around 40 taps out so far, heading back out here in an hour or so to try and get at least 40 more out this afternoon before dark. Wishing we could get some accumulation so I could go up on the hill and get those nice white oaks back to the house. Keep up the good work, but don't overdue it!

zap...how many cords of wood do you have? It must be a lot....you are a very hard worker...
Mrs zap must be proud, that's why she cooks so many good meals for you... :)

We had a dusting of snow overnight, temps are dropping (16) degrees with the wind pickng up. They are calling for the windchill tonight to be around -27. I think some are tapping up here, others are still waiting.

For years I would pass on downed pine & hemlock, never really cut any shoulder season wood until over a year ago. I would like about 2-3 cord of shoulder season wood for each year. Oak sounds great, we plan on planting about five this spring (Northern Red Oak) if they grow good we will plant more in two years.

We tapped about five trees about 2 years ago just for our own use, never did it again because of the time & lack of a better setup but we do plan on doing some in the future.

zap

Zap, how many acres do you have? Is it difficult to keep all of the trails open, and how do you maintain them all. I'd like more land, and that is something we are working toward, hopefully in a few years we are planning on a decent plot in nh.

GAMMA RAY said:
zap...how many cords of wood do you have? It must be a lot....you are a very hard worker...
Mrs zap must be proud, that's why she cooks so many good meals for you... :)

Gamma I missed this post, pleassssssssssssssse forgive me. We have between 18-23 cord, she first thought I was going off the deep end with all the cutting but loves having the heat set for years to come............money in the bank.

She loves to cook Gamma, tonight it's chicken Piccata.

Zap

Nice work Zap, nothing wrong with gathering the lessers. No reason to work in the cold today when its going to be Spring again tomorrow.

I talked with a kid that works at the Country Store, they live up on a hill, they dropped to -10 last night. The only work today will be pushing in two loads of Beech, what did you get for weather in the CUSE?

zap

A little snow, a little wind. Sitting at 8 now, just enough of an excuse to burn some of the good stuff.

Looked like fun zap ;-) But sure was chilly eh! gonna be the same today out in the woods but will be taking the heated tractor with me :cheese:

loon

loon said:
Looked like fun zap ;-) But sure was chilly eh! gonna be the same today out in the woods but will be taking the heated tractor with me :cheese:

loon

Taking a day off here, the heated tractor sounds great.

zap

Zap, are you going to create some openings for the red oak seedlings? They are somewhat shade intolerant and won't grow well unless they have sufficient sunlight.

Pat

Pat53, when I was back in on Saturday I checked the area we want to plant them, not enough room in that area so we have a second spot which gets plenty of sun & will have enough room. This spring I'll be clearing a second area for planting more.

What do you use other than tubex when planting?

zap

zapny said:
Pat53, when I was back in on Saturday I checked the area we want to plant them, not enough room in that area so we have a second spot which gets plenty of sun & will have enough room. This spring I'll be clearing a second area for planting more.

zap
A south face of clay ground suits oak well.

zapny said:

zap

I don't actually plant any Zap, but I know they need a fair amount of light to prosper. keep in mind that deer love oak leaves/tops so you should protect them until they are about 4' tall, otherwise the deer will keep nipping them off every chance they get.

Pat

Zap - nice work. I'm going to start putting up more shoulder season/warmer day wood this year (white pine and hemlock) - I like the idea of stretching out the amount of 'good stuff'. I've been working up a lot of red maple and white birch - the red maple was down for three years, but solid, and a lot of it is pretty dry - probably good for next fall. The white birch will be for early and late season the year after. Cheers!

NH_Wood, I wish that I spent more time cutting s/s wood so we had more, we burned two true cord in the fall early winter before we started on our better wood. The white birch and maple sound good.

zap

Thanks tfdchief, looks like a day off this Friday so it's a three day weekend of cutting shoulder season wood. If the weather stays in the middle 30's to the low 40's this week I'll see what the trail up top looks like, last time I checked it was all ice, not bad going up with the chains on but coming down with some wood in the trailer would be tough.

zap

By all means zap, take it easy on the ice. That one hill would not be fun coming down with a load and losing it.

Backwoods Savage said:
By all means zap, take it easy on the ice. That one hill would not be fun coming down with a load and losing it.

I'll take a run up in the bowl (that trail was good last weekend) so I can check the trail out that leads to up top, lots of good shoulder season wood up top.

Sav, I would like to grab the rest of this bigtooth aspen (more pine too) for some shoulder season wood, it's also time for a new trail to be cut through that mess so we have a second route out.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4435.jpg
    100_4435.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 98
Status
Not open for further replies.