Splitting Hickory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drz1050

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2014
Ballston Lake, NY
Got a log load delivered this Spring, I've just been chipping away at it in my spare time for a while now. Had a few large-ish (20" diameter or so) hickory logs in there. Found them a pain in the ass to split when fresh.. Stringy, and the bark was holding everything together too. Finished bucking up those logs, then let them sit for a while.. just went back to them this morning, and it was worlds easier. Still stringy-ish, but nothing like what it was, and the bark was a non-issue anymore, just breaking right off like oak bark.

TL; DR- if you're having a hard time splitting hickory, buck it up and let it sit for a few months. Way easier then.

Reactions: illenema
I keep it covered if it's going to sit for any length of time. I doesn't hold up very well if it gets rained on. A few months won't be too long, though.

Yes and no. I had some hickory that's been laying about since Obama first term and when I split it up it was as ornery as a wife who fill in the blanks. The bark however did fall right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.