Splitting in sub-freezing weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
I do believe that splitting wood in 22º weather is easier than during sustained temperatures above 32º. It could also be that it's been below freezing for a few weeks. I can definitely say, the same rounds are splitting easier than last month when it didn't really feel like winter.

A sunny day in the 20s splitting wood is a good one for me, except if I encounter a round where the grain isn't straight.

Reactions: mcdougy
I do believe that splitting wood in 22º weather is easier than during sustained temperatures above 32º. It could also be that it's been below freezing for a few weeks. I can definitely say, the same rounds are splitting easier than last month when it didn't really feel like winter.

A sunny day in the 20s splitting wood is a good one for me, except if I encounter a round where the grain isn't straight.
I have to agree with you. Not sure why other than maybe the moisture that is present in the wood has expanded some due to freezing plus causing the wood to be more brittle.
My Dad use to split all of his wood with an axe, but waited tell it had been below freezing for a while.

I have to agree with you. Not sure why other than maybe the moisture that is present in the wood has expanded some due to freezing plus causing the wood to be more brittle.
My Dad use to split all of his wood with an axe, but waited tell it had been below freezing for a while.
Ok, I've also heard that's a myth. Glad you concur! Your theory makes sense. The Fiskars axe I have is great. It's only 6 lbs, but today where I'd use a wedge to split the round for the most part all I needed was the axe.

Wood splits easier when froze. We do it lots here, just below freezing doesn't make as much of a difference as -20c though, at -40 it just pops, but that's hard on the lungs being outside in that cold.

We used to do it lots with green pine or poplar, it can be nasty to split and is really stringy, when froze that almost disappears.

Wood splits easier when froze. We do it lots here, just below freezing doesn't make as much of a difference as -20c though, at -40 it just pops, but that's hard on the lungs being outside in that cold.

We used to do it lots with green pine or poplar, it can be nasty to split and is really stringy, when froze that almost disappears.
Wow those temperatures have to be tough to deal with! 20º or so is easy to deal with in comparison. I know what you mean with the stringy trees being usually hard to split. Interesting how the extreme cold even helps that.

I also prefer splitting in the cold just for personal comfort too. I don't like being hot. I can layer appropriately and be comfortable.

This morning I tossed some oak frozen down to just above single digits into the splitter. The splitter touched off, dropped into full grunt and they went off like rifle shots. I had to lean on them to keep my side from firing out at me.

I also prefer splitting in the cold just for personal comfort too. I don't like being hot. I can layer appropriately and be comfortable.
Join the club. I think it's funny when those living in Florida think I'm jealous of their weather.
This morning I tossed some oak frozen down to just above single digits into the splitter. The splitter touched off, dropped into full grunt and they went off like rifle shots. I had to lean on them to keep my side from firing out at me.
Sounds dangerous! Didn't think it would be that cold in Tenn.

Join the club. I think it's funny when those living in Florida think I'm jealous of their weather.
You couldn't pay me to live in Florida, for numerous reasons. Weather being one of them. I absolutely hate being hot. When it gets over 80 here I'm miserable unless on the water. I also really value the seasons, I like the change. I think I'd get depressed if it were the same weather every day. Even nice weather like San Diego. I just really like the change of pace and different activities it brings.

Sounds dangerous! Didn't think it would be that cold in Tenn.
We dropped to 5 at night and teens during the day for a few days. It's gone now and I'm happy.

ETA It was warming up today and the wood was so cold it was forming frost on it when I started this morning.

White ash splits so easily but when well frozen splitting it with an axe was just plain fun. Thinking of frozen wood brings me back to those very cold nights when the woods resounded with the sound of popping trees.

Reactions: Stelcom66
My wood deck pops like somebody firing a shotgun next to the house. Pretty darn consistent at around zero, -20, and -40. I can keep track of the temperature pretty well by just counting the pops. I'm used to it, but still kinda over the 3am alerts.

I always found that the wetter and harder the wood _g, the better it splits when good and frozen. Dry pine or fir, it doesn't seem to matter much, but it splits pretty easily anyway.

My wood deck pops like somebody firing a shotgun next to the house. Pretty darn consistent at around zero, -20, and -40. I can keep track of the temperature pretty well by just counting the pops. I'm used to it, but still kinda over the 3am alerts.

I always found that the wetter and harder the wood _g, the better it splits when good and frozen. Dry pine or fir, it doesn't seem to matter much, but it splits pretty easily anyway.
Does the popping do any damage to the deck? Jeez, and then I saw the temperatures mentioned!