Splitting Size, From Spring and Fall to Winter Chunks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Any thing 12 inch diameter or less I half. Anything bigger I split down till I can pick it up with one hand. When I bring in a load of wood. I respite some of the easier pieces down to fill in gaps between the fat boys

I have a 4 way on my splitter with the wings set at ~4.5". The bottom pieces come out around that size and the top is whatever it is, unless it's too big, then it gets resplit in half or 4, depending on the size. Most of my splits range from 3-5". There are pieces on either side of that range. If I find a dead elm or something in the 6-10" range that's pretty dry, I cut rounds and leave em whole for mid winter. They burn a lot longer, so I can throw 3-5 of those in the stove and not worry about reloading for most of the day/night.

Reactions: Vg3200p
I have a 4 way on my splitter with the wings set at ~4.5". The bottom pieces come out around that size and the top is whatever it is, unless it's too big, then it gets resplit in half or 4, depending on the size. Most of my splits range from 3-5". There are pieces on either side of that range. If I find a dead elm or something in the 6-10" range that's pretty dry, I cut rounds and leave em whole for mid winter. They burn a lot longer, so I can throw 3-5 of those in the stove and not worry about reloading for most of the day/night.
I can't get away with rounds here. They just never season before they rot. The only rounds i can burn are the "petrified" oak or locust branches that have been on the ground, usually just above the ground in the woods because they are crooked or laying on other branches for years. The bark is long gone and they are very dense. They burn great.