Splitting with a hoe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
My stump digging was going nowhere without making a big ole mess and doing some damage so I tried the splitting method someone posted about recently. I hope it works better on rounds than it does on stumps.

Attachments

• 091011 stump grinding.jpg
    091011 stump grinding.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 504
Man the fuel used/cord to split goes up quite a bit if you use a hoe :)

Watch them overhead power & phone lines !!

Is that at the house or camp?

zap

That's home Zap. Definitely a tight spot Dave. My biggest concern was actually the well. Second was tail swing into the house on the other side of the driveway. But, was keeping an eye on those lines too even though I was well away from them.

I've taken out a lot of stumps with my backhoe. They just don't pull out. You have to dig a trench around it and sever the roots. That track hoe has much more power but you still can't just pull a real big stump out.

I'm gonna attempt splitting my big ash log with my hoe just to see what it does.... I think the log is gonna win. The Dolmar 28" will be waiting patiently.

0006.jpg

0012.jpg

Gary_602z said:
Wasn't the hoe I was hoping to see! :lol:

Gary
I thought this thread was going in a different direction too

Maybe a picture of her rear end will make you guys happy :lol:

Attachments

• Hitachi rear end.jpg
    Hitachi rear end.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 354
Is that ur machine? or did you rent it?

mhrischuk said:
I've taken out a lot of stumps with my backhoe. They just don't pull out. You have to dig a trench around it and sever the roots. That track hoe has much more power but you still can't just pull a real big stump out.

Yeah, I've dug my share of big stumps out with hoes big and small. Whenever I can, I do a quick dig on three sides and push the tree over with the hoe. By far the most effective way. This one had to be roped down though as it was over the house, power lines and road. I knew digging was a crap shoot at best because of the proximity of the well, driveway and that hill is a boulder field. I would just cut it flush but this tree was full of metal and had already taken a bunch of casualties. So, did the best I could with the hoe, put a sacrificial bar/chain on to clean up the top and will let time do the rest. A little more work with the rake today and I will be able to seed that bank.

Attachments

• 091110 stump grinding.jpg
    091110 stump grinding.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 348
ecocavalier02 said:
Is that ur machine? or did you rent it?

Mine for a time. It was dying a slow death up at the camp in the gravel pit in the middle of the ADKs. I have been nursing it back to health while I get my lot cleaned up. Then she gets a for sale sign put on her.

nice to have. i could use one of those for a little while. must be fun to play around in as well.

Yep, 2 joysticks and 12 tons makes it feel like a video game.

SolarAndWood said:
Maybe a picture of her rear end will make you guys happy :lol:

a little flat for my taste

Yes for sure that will split a log much easier than splitting the stump. And yes, a fellow could have some fun having that even for a weekend. My wife would like for us to have one so she could have a decent pond. That would take a while to dig though in the size she wants.

After spending a lot of time in a backhoe, I was amazed how much faster the excavator can move material. I excavated the lower side of the house and built the second garden terrace with it in no time. My drain line had a 4x6x6 boulder in its path about 4 ft below the surface. No problem, picked it out of the trench and threw it to the side. I bet your wife's pond would be dug in a day especially if you had a bulldozer onsite to spread the spoils.

Status
Not open for further replies.