Splitting wood the Backwoods Savage style.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
As most know I do the cutting during the winter months and the splitting in the spring. Most also will recognize the milk crate I use to sit on. Last year I was still healing from a total hip replacement and did not have a lot of wood to split. I could not sit on the milk crate last year because of the hip so used something else.

So a couple days ago I finally found some time to get started with this year's wood splitting and decided to use what I used last year. After all, I have both hips replaced so I thought it might be best to sit a bit higher. I probably split for an hour maximum that first time but don't remember the time exactly but I can assure you I hurt when I stopped. But the hurt was mostly in the back.

Than later that evening I was getting things around to shower when suddenly my hip really started hurting. This is the one that was operated on last winter. I spent a miserable Saturday night. Sunday was not a whole lot better. Today was much better.

It dawned on me that maybe I should take the milk crate back with me to sit on today. I did and at present there is no pain in the hip. I also noticed that it was easier getting the log onto the splitter; I just was not working as hard.

So right now my theory is that when sitting, like when standing, working height makes a huge difference in how easy or how hard it is for the worker. So as for me and my house, we'll be using the milk crate from now on.

And I'm wondering if anyone else has experimented with this idea?

Reactions: pen
Working height matters = Splitting horizontal! ==c

zap

Reactions: tfdchief
I do it similarly to your method, Sav. When bucking I pick a good round, just the right diameter, and cut it to just the right length (hold the saw along the log and there's a spot on the saw that's just the right length). I throw that round to the side and that is my seat for when the splitting commences. If the round is too short, I get pain in my back and knees. Too high and my back REALLY gets sore. If its just right, I can run that splitter for hours. But it still hurts when I smash my finger between the wedge and the round no matter what height the seat is! (Edit: not smashing my finger while running the splitter, rather smashing it when I'm chucking the next round onto the splitter and the ram isn't fully retracted!)

Reactions: zap
What if it made it easier on your back, especially on smaller rounds.
zap

If that were true zap, for sure I'd be doing it. However, how anyone could consider it easier to physically pick up each and every round it way beyond me and my body.

Have you considered a new splitter with a log lifter? I know it is $$$$ but you like the wood heat and your body isn't liking splitting so much anymore. Just a thought I had.

how anyone could consider it easier to physically pick up each and every round it way beyond me and my body.
That may be true, but tossing the splits to where you want them is sure a lot easier. Moving around also keeps my back and butt from cramping up. I need to fabricate a table for my splitter...
Have you considered a new splitter with a log lifter?
Hmmm, does that sound like it would work, Dennis? You would have to change your sig pic though... ;)

I like to take the wood from the pickup right to the splitter, same height and no bending over to pick up rounds off of the ground. Off course monster rounds are split vertical.
Glad to hear the hips are working Backwoods.

Reactions: ScotO
Scott, I did that to a finger one time. Once in a while I learn fast. That was one of those times.

Mark, yes, one could get a log lifter but there are also a few drawbacks. As you mentioned, there are the dollars. One would also need a table. Then one also has to get the log to the lifter, which amounts to the same thing as getting a log to the butt plate. Then perhaps the biggest factor of all for me is that when working at a height such as it would be, for some reason that is pure He!! on my back. Even standing at a workbench and doing light work just about puts me out of commission for a long time. Just the nature of the back problem I have.

Steve. Yes, the milk crate will see many more seasons yet.

Woody, the throwing of the splits is definitely in favor of the guy standing. And yes, from time to time I do get up to move around. I usually make sure I leave the water jug on the atv so when thirsty I get up and walk to it to get the drink. That little break and short walk does me good. And you also bring up the point of more dollars and fabrication with the needed table when splitting horizontally.

Oldspark, yes, splitting right off the trailer or wagon would favor horizontal splitting if one also had a table on the splitter. It is easy to see that advantage. And the hips are doing well. No problem with the hips after splitting yesterday so I am convinced the height does make a difference.

Reactions: ScotO
Hey, I ain't gonna bust anybodys chops for finding a solution that works. Just the right height seat and vertical splitting...great if that is what works for you. Standing on your head and swinging a monster maul...fine if it works for you. My body would HATE me after sitting for a couple of hours stooping, pulling, maneuvering rounds. It just doesn't work for me (and yes, I have helped a friend that has a vertical).

Edit: and Dennis has pointed out the other side of the argument.

Jags, just don't think that I'll ease up on Firefighter Jake on this one though. Some day he might listen! He hasn't been very active lately. Maybe I need to send him an email to wake him up.

I've found a nice-sized 16" round with a garden kneeling pad on it has been working okay for me. Still need to get up and stretch once in a while. My current "system" include throwing the splits right into a lawn tractor trailer and then moving it to the stack area. Last time, I was able to roll right up to the stack, and that was a plus, "moving stuff" wise.

Reactions: rdust
Velvet, I did that one time with a larger trailer. I had decided I really did not want the wood stacked where it was in log form so just backed the trailer up to the splitter. When the trailer was full I'd take a break from the splitting and do the stacking. Usually though, I'll split right where I want to stack it to save some handling and moving.

That would be ideal, but what with the paved driveway now and the lack of laydown area for the logs, this is my current "production" model.

How are the timber tongs working out? I've found I can pick up surprisingly large rounds, and can double up on the smaller ones, dumping the rounds in the staging line for the splitter. My back isn't as bad as yours, but still not good, but then, whose is?

The timber tongs are working out better than I thought. Next fall I'll probably get another one.

Jags, just don't think that I'll ease up on Firefighter Jake on this one though. Some day he might listen! He hasn't been very active lately. Maybe I need to send him an email to wake him up.

I'm guessing you wouldn't believe me if I said I have been busy . . . or that I had seen the light and now do all my splitting vertically. ;)

Still splitting horizontally . . . it works for me . . . maybe because half of the time I am splitting the wood right off the back of the truck or trailer . . .

I split vertical when I have large rounds on the ground. But I have drastically changed my system from cut as much as i can and split later....now I split by the truck load. System now is pull the pslitter along side the stacking pallet, back truck up to the splitter and pull the rounds off the tailgate right onto the splitter(horizontal). Much easier on the back and I can manage evn large rounds in this manner.

But hey, as mentioned above...do what works for you. I was actually glad Sav went back to the crate...it's just the way it should be :)

I've found a nice-sized 16" round with a garden kneeling pad on it has been working okay for me. Still need to get up and stretch once in a while

x2, this is exactly how I do it since my back surgery last July. I still find splitting the smaller rounds horizontal is easier on my back but the bigger stuff I don't want to lift I'll roll to the splitter and kneel on a "hot seat" pad.

I've tried using the milk crate method but I find that I end up reaching too much which strains my back.

To each his own I guess.

I'm splitting horizontal 98% of the time.

I'm taking the splits right from the splitter and putting them on my U of pallets. Next time I touch them will be to put em in the Vigas!

I'm up to 35 Pallets full. I've got another 5 that are nothing but red oak. That stuff is all for later, like 13/14 later. I've got a lot of shoulder wood.. Irene gave me a solid 8 or 10 big hemlock to clean up. I'm down to just chipper work now to clean up.

I split vertical when I have large rounds on the ground. But I have drastically changed my system from cut as much as i can and split later....now I split by the truck load. System now is pull the pslitter along side the stacking pallet, back truck up to the splitter and pull the rounds off the tailgate right onto the splitter(horizontal). Much easier on the back and I can manage evn large rounds in this manner.

But hey, as mentioned above...do what works for you. I was actually glad Sav went back to the crate...it's just the way it should be :)

;lol My back was pretty glad I changed too.

Height matters aboard the boat when i'm lobstering and at home when i'm cutting up my deer.2" can make every difference in the world.Saves from stretching those muscles that run up each side of the spine.When i was cutting my log length stuff it sure felt better cutting the stuff on the top of the stack.;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.