Splitting Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bezalel

Nov 19, 2005
I'm new wood stove and just had my first year of burning wood, mostly purchased already seasoned and split. My PG&E bill has been around $60-70, so we're very happy. I'm beginning to collect wood for next year. Most of what I get are rounds and need splitting. I have some questions:

1. How long shoud I let the wood dry before splitting? I heard that there's a certain window to do this in - too green or too dry will make splitting harder. True or false?

2. What tool do I need to buy? I saw some 8 lbs axe / wood splitters at Home Depot & Lowe's. Are these adequate or do I need more?

I'd appreciate any pointer on best ways to split wood and avoiding unnecessary tools. Thank you!

Beez

You need to split the wood Now, the sooner the better, it is not going to dry nearly as fast if you don't split it.

As far as axes or mauls or splitters, you need to find what s best for you, I do 99% of my splitting by hand, I use a Stihl 6.6lbs maul. I have used axes, 6 and 8 lbs mauls before. You might find it cost effective to rent a splitter for a afternoon if you have a pile of wood sitting there.

If you are going to use the wood for next year you need to get it spilt and stacked soon

Jeff

Protection good gloves possibly steel toe shoes/boots ear and eye protection,
Most of this you should have running a skill saw a or bench saw around your home.
Tools 6 to 8 lb maul with a splitting wedge or two. If doing occasional cutting you will not need a pro saw
HD does carry the Echo line Sears carries craftsman/ Poulan. I would look for over 2hp, 2.5 better 16" bar
If one is serious Stihl or Husky brand chainsaw. I use a cheap electric for cutting up rounds 3hp 14/16" bar but I also have 5 gas saws. You will need outdoor 2 cycle oil to mix with the gas. You should get a file and gage to touch up your chain when it gets dull

Thank you for the reminder about protection (gloves, boots, eyes, etc.)

I do have an 18" Homelite Saw with new blade, but I didn't know I'm supposed to mix gas & oil in it. Please elaborate?

I will get a 8 lbs splitter and perhaps a wedge then.

Now ... isn't waiting a few months will help make splitting easier, and how long should I wait?

Thanks again.

almost all chain saws are 2 cycle engines and require a mixture of 2 cycle oil mixed in the gasoline. you also should purchase chain bar oil used to lubricate the chain and sprokets. If your saw still turns over you are real lucky using straight gas did not seize the engine. Do not use it again drain out the gas and use the proper 2cycle oil mixture and fill it with the proper mixture gas

If you plan to use the wood this comming (fall/ winter) heating season, it needs to be cut split and stacked now also stacked in maxium sun exposure if you can wait the wood is easier to split below 25 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.