Spotting dead standing trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChadMc

Burning Hunk
Dec 12, 2019
Bucks County PA
This may be a dumb question.......all my cutting has been wind blows and has yielded a lot of wood. However in the wood right behind the house there’s some ash and cherry that look dead standing. Before I drop them what’s the best way to tell considering it’s winter? Or should I wait till spring to see if the get green? Any input would help cause I’m ready to drop cut and stack these haha.

I usually assume they are dead when there's not many twigs left in the crown. Or if major limbs have no new growth. If ash has D shaped holes at trunk level its probably dying EAB works from the canopy down. Whiteish bark on an ash usually means it's dead. Ash rots fast though have to be carefull felling them. Bark will start falling off dead trees as well.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Branch tips that have no buds is a "dead" giveaway. Look for flaking or discolored bark, or mushrooms (oak) on the trunk. When scouting, I usually look for trunks with symtoms, then look up and scan the crowns. This time of year crowns stripped of buds are fairly evident.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Gotcha. The ones I was checking out today looked like that. I noticed way up high there seemed to be no new growth. I’ll check them out again tomorrow but from what your describing there dead. Looks like I have a lot more wood coming my way.

I'm not too crazy about going after dead standing. Usually lots of dead limbs up there just waiting for an excuse to drop.
Yea I thought that same as I was looking up at it this morning. However these few are right near a trail the kids always are on and we hike with the dogs. Keep it safe and get some wood!

I like to go after dead standing red oaks. Their limbs drop off of the tree faster than the rest of oaks. If dead long enough the limbs are gone and the main trunk is only left stamding. A lot safer.

If your not well versed in dropping trees, a friendly reminder that wedges are a must have. You will not be able to beat gravity/physics of which way the tree will want to go. Also remember it doesn't take much wind to stop a tree from wanting to go the expected way. A wedge will give you much more control and stop the chances of getting your bar pinched if you have the tree going the wrong way on you. They are not always necessary, but your screwed in the situations that require them if you don't have any......be safe.

I always walk the property in late summer. I mark the ones that are dead, and take them down the next winter. But, bark that is falling off is a big sign of standing dead.