Spring cleaning weird find...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gibraltar IV

Dec 16, 2015
Missouri
i cleaned and summer-ized my NC30 this morning. I cleaned mid-winter so I only got about 1/4 cup of soot out of the chimney (I use a conventional top-down brush) and I never have problems with creosote because I burn hot with dry wood. When I removed the baffle boards BEFORE brushing, I noticed a little pile of creosote puffballs on the boards - ranging from lead shot size to about the size of a pea. The amount was just a few of them like maybe a tablespoon- fluffy spheres of burnt creosote. You guys ever see anything like that?

Congrats on clean burning. A small amount of little creosote balls are common. I think they flake off the connector pipe as it expands and contracts when heating up and cooling down.

The ball shape tells me that these things didn’t peel off of your flue but probably originated as drips of condensed smoke on your chimney cap. The drip shape will dry and fall down from above. That super cold chimney cap up in the atmosphere is a perfect place for condensation during cold starts.

The nc30 really burns pretty clean.