Spring clips holding trim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TresK3

Jul 12, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have a Fireplace Xtrordinare 33Elite insert that is about 15 years old. There is a metal trim that covers the gap between the surround panels and the brick facing of my fireplace. It looks a little like a metal picture frame. This trim is held in place with a series of "spring clips" that sit in a channel on the back side of the trim and press it against the surround panels. I took the trim off because I needed to access the blower rheostat and now I'm having troubles getting it back on.

Does anyone have suggestions or tricks on getting the spring clips in place, between the trim and surround? If I put the clips into the channel on the trim, there doesn't seem to be any way to force it over the surround panel. I've tried setting the clips so that they aren't all the way in the channel and using the surround to "push" them into place (a bit hard to explain). This works fine for one or two clips, but as soon as I move to the other side or top, they pop out.

Getting frustrated and I think that I'm going to have to do this again, because I have to replace the snap disk. Thanks!

Have you tried talking to an auto body repair person? They have several types of tools for removing and installing hidden clips . Hopefully they can point you the right direction.
Some photos of the clips, trim and area where they go would be helpful to other members trying to help as well.

It's not really an autobody type clip. It looks more like a spring-metal Z that fits in a channel. The camera on my phone is pretty lousy, so taking and uploading photos is a multi-step process; I'll see what I can do, though.

Thanks!