Springtime Oak Festival

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
9vhPV3nl.jpg

I answered a craigslist ad for free firewood. And the guy wasn't kidding.
Pristine white oak not a cubic centimeter of rot.
The only bad thing was I had to drive 30 minutes, well worth it.

KJ1X2inl.jpg

Surprising how much wood the little Jap truck holds.

eaVetqWl.jpg

Daisy also likes oak. I am going back tomorrow for another load, maybe 2 more. The guy said I am the only person who answered his ad.

Very nice score. Round here, never see oak for free. Everyone thinks it is like gold.

Reactions: Wickets
Love it!!! I hand split nearly 3/4 of a cord of red oak shorties yesterday, fairly straight grain stuff but all 20"+ diameter, so I felt like a tough guy for a while.

Reactions: Wickets
3KucAECl.jpg

I went back today. I brought my brother and his maul. He has a little Husqvarna with a 16 inch bar. That was not the right saw for this 23 inch oak. I cut it all with my Stihl with the 20 inch bar. Thank God I bought a new chain yesterday morning.
I sawed and brother split, this wood was rather hard to split.

IMG_3073.JPG

We got a good load of wood. It is surprising how much wood a little Jap pickup will hold.