Squirrels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

marty319

Feeling the Heat
Nov 17, 2014
Belair mb
Never seen so many red squirrels as this year.they chewed my neighbors fascia on her shed off.then this morning she asked me to come over as something was chewing all night and she never slept.well they chewed into the crawl space and were up in the floor joists.set up some rat traps and had 3 in an hour.ive been picking them off with the pellet gun all year and cannot keep up.couple of years ago they chewed wires in a friend's grandmothers house and set it on fire.

Prof

Minister of Fire
Oct 18, 2011
Western PA
We never have enough squirrels around to be a problem. A bit unfortunate since I love squirrel stew. It would take a bunch of reds to make it though.

EatenByLimestone

Minister of Fire
Every few years I need to go after them at the cabin. I wipe them out and eventually new ones move in.

Sawset

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2015
Palmyra, WI
2 litters of 6 per year = hawk food
I made a repeating trap once and caught 18 chipmunks (not all at once) and still didn't seem to dent the population.
Around that same time I had just bought a 40acre piece, had some time on my hands, and did some envelope math on how many coyotes could be sustained if a half dozen bunnies were introduced on that 40acre piece. It was a lot, with spare bunnies for next yrs crop.
Whatever is done, don't put out feed to attract the critters. Feeding the birds is a noble pastime, until the other hungry things, like squirrels, decide your car or house wires are on the menu.

Reactions: sloeffle and fbelec

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
Same problem here. Squirrels have destroyed the bottom panels of my garage doors trying to chew their way in. Chewed the lead flashing on my chimney. Ate my entire pumkin plants and all my hot pepper plants right down to the stem. The only thing safe was the ghost peppers themselves.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Eastern Long Island NY
Have about 10 gray ones here. Stable. Redtailed hawks nesting nearby

Dataman

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2018
Newport, Wa
Battle them every year. Shoot about 15-30 of them. I use Propane Torch and put it in the hold and let it rip for 5min. Then Cover it up. If they are home they Die. They be Ugly (Colombia Ground Squirrel). They are only awake for 4 months of the year. Plowing the back 5AC kills them too. Just don't want the Dust.

SUNP0015.JPG

Reactions: Sawset

johneh

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2009
Eastern Ontario
We have a grove of mature Black Walnuts so we have Chipmonkes.
Red Squirrels, Black, silver, gray, and 2 albino squirrels
Dispatch close to 60 a year with my trusty pellet rifle
Don't mind the bigger one they stay away from the house
but the reds are a holey tearer and destructive