SQUISHY-THE FLAMING BAT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

titan

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
aliant
Just a little story I wanted to share, maybe someone has had a similar experience?Two years ago, one cool Sept. night-I light a small fire in my old basement dragon;within seconds I hear this scratching noise from my stovepipe and I assume it's just some big old beetle or other insect in my flue.Now the wife is curious as to what it might be, so I open the door-kindling in hand-to have a peek(no glass in the door).A smoking brown bat swoops out and hits me in the leg-I thought the devil had me there for a second and by now my wife is laughing to wet herself.Ipick the thing up and run outside to put it out of its misery with a workboot.Next time I hear a noise in my stovepipe I'll let my wifeput the next split on the fire.btw-if any PETA folks read this--- the bat attacked me first;it was only self-defense.HA

In summer I woke up in the morning to hear something scratching, biting, and clawing at the insulation above the secondary burn tubes (which is delicate). I went through my options, couldn't let it out else my two cats will destroy the place in excitement and how to get whatever was in there outside. Couldn't leave it in there, it was going to destroy the insulation. I put in a lot of kindling and lit a fire and sadly listen to the noise slowly stop. When I cleaned my chimney out comes a smoked and BBQ'd bat which I brought to my wife I thought would be interested to see it. She most certainly did not share the interest I did she scolded me something awful.

BrotherBart once said, hope Santa doesn't get stuck coming down my chimney!

Rhonemas said:
BrotherBart once said, hope Santa doesn't get stuck coming down my chimney!

Yep. That six inch liner showing up this year must have ticked him off. I didn't get anything for Christmas.

And it was fifty degrees that day so the stove wasn't burning upstairs.

When I was little we didn't have a chimney, so mom told me santa would sneak down the PVC ventilation pipes. Must have been a stinky ride down!

Corie said:
When I was little we didn't have a chimney, so mom told me santa would sneak down the PVC ventilation pipes. Must have been a stinky ride down!

Well that explains the reindeer - if you had someone that had been crawling through the sewer pipes behind you, wouldn't you be working hard to get away? :lol:

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.