SS X27....Oh Soooooo Sweet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiman

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2009
Ontario Canada
Got my hands on a X27 today. Got home from work tonight and made a bee line from the bucked up pile of wet surgar maple i cut yesterday. Wacked the first 24" block 2 shots and apart she came. Split up another hald dozen or so. All I can say is WOW, I am loving this thing already.

I have an x25 but it was just a bit too short so I ordered the x27. I tried it today for the first time as well. I love it. I have some red oak that is very bouncy since it rained like crazy the last 2 days but I was able to split apart two 20" rounds. I like the added length to the 27 over the x25.

Love it.

I shared my favorite experience here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/74154/

In short, I was loading the small rounds at a scrounge when the tree guy tells me he has ‘two hunks of Oak from the last job.’ One was very large and heavy. No way I'm getting that in the trunk of my car. Out came the Fiskars!

At about the 3rd whack he sadly says, ‘Ohhhhhhhh…you’re not going to split that with an axe!’ Whack! Crack! Split. ‘Oh, no?!?!?!’

Never underestimate the Fiskars. I love the way it bounces off those big Oaks 2-3 times and gives that delicious crack on the 4th. Priceless.

When I split Maple I use your exact 'peeling' technique. I hit at the outside with the grain to peel off splits and work toward the middle. Differenet woods, different techniques. But, that thing splits almost anything.

I noodled about 5 rounds last year that were just impossible. Not worth the time and money for hydraulics when I have to go to the gym anyway.

Bought my X25 in late May & I love it.Split 4 cords since then,its used on 90% of the stuff I cut now.Best thing I've used on dead Red/Black Oak 7" to 18" diameter in 31 years of hand-splitting. Its not too good on most larger White Oak I have,its tougher & quite stringy at times.So the Monster Maul gets brought outta the shed for those occasional pieces.

I bought one this Spring and have also been very happy with the results. Light weight, sharp and blows right through the straight grained woods but not so good on twisted grain or crotch type rounds so I just save them for the power splitter.

The head was getting loose on my other splitting maul so I ordered an X27, I like it, but I don't think it splits any easier than my Home Depot special but it sure does come out easier, this thing does not get stuck in the round I guess due to the finish it has on it, probably why the head came loose on the other one as it would get stuck if it didn't split the round.

I just bought an X25 recently. It's a keeper. I still use my standard 6in maul a fair amount. Sometimes bigger is what's needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.