St. Croix burn pot - solved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueshawk1

Oct 2, 2010
Upstate NY
I have a St. Croix Lancaster, and I bought the multi-fuel burn pot for it and hit a problem; I can't get the original burn pot out.
Following the instructions, I took out the screw in front of the burn pot that holds it in place, I loosened the screw that allows pulling back the coal rake farther so it's out of the way, and supposedly, the burn pot is supposed to lift right out.
It doesn't.
It feels like there's still something still holding it in place, but I can't see anything, or feel anything when reaching around in there, and according to the instructions, there is nothing else.

Also, if and when I can get the new pot in there, I have a question that the instructions say nothing about (and the dealer didn't seem real sure about);
Those who know the multi fuel pot know it comes with the plate for around the top that has to be fastened with screws - two actually depending on if you have the brick or not, I do have the brick, so I have to use the shorter one, so that's not the question.
According to the place I bought the pot from, you take that plate off for burning one thing, put it back on for burning something else (they said take it off for corn, put it on for pellets).
Now I'm wondering if they have that correct:
First, are they right that you have to take it off and on depending on what you are burning, and second, if you do have to do that, are they correct in saying take it off for corn, put it on for pellets.

I have to sign off and get ready for work, so thanks in advance for any answers that come along before I can get back on here.

I'd call St. Croix customer service for a definitive answer...

blueshawk1 said:
I have a St. Croix Lancaster, and I bought the multi-fuel burn pot for it and hit a problem; I can't get the original burn pot out.
Following the instructions, I took out the screw in front of the burn pot that holds it in place, I loosened the screw that allows pulling back the coal rake farther so it's out of the way, and supposedly, the burn pot is supposed to lift right out.
It doesn't.
It feels like there's still something still holding it in place, but I can't see anything, or feel anything when reaching around in there, and according to the instructions, there is nothing else.

Also, if and when I can get the new pot in there, I have a question that the instructions say nothing about (and the dealer didn't seem real sure about);
Those who know the multi fuel pot know it comes with the plate for around the top that has to be fastened with screws - two actually depending on if you have the brick or not, I do have the brick, so I have to use the shorter one, so that's not the question.
According to the place I bought the pot from, you take that plate off for burning one thing, put it back on for burning something else (they said take it off for corn, put it on for pellets).
Now I'm wondering if they have that correct:
First, are they right that you have to take it off and on depending on what you are burning, and second, if you do have to do that, are they correct in saying take it off for corn, put it on for pellets.

I have to sign off and get ready for work, so thanks in advance for any answers that come along before I can get back on here.

You leave the plate IN for CORN and take it OUT for PELLETS. This is coming from two St. Croix dealers, one (myself) and another in Canada. :) You've got an International St. Croix consortiam/cartel here. :)

Hope this helps!!!

AR

ARGlock, Good to know you are a dealer for st.croix stoves

ARGlock said:
You leave the plate IN for CORN and take it OUT for PELLETS. This is coming from two St. Croix dealers, one (myself) and another in Canada. :) You've got an International St. Croix consortiam/cartel here. :)
Hope this helps!!!
AR

Thank you, that does help, it's opposite of what they told me at the dealer. Nice people, but I don't think they're quite "up" on everything. I already taught them something about this stove, and I've only had it about a month.
Now if I can just get the old pot out so I can get this one in there.

Okay.....relief....
I contacted EvenTemp and got a response.
They replied asking how long I've had it - we've only had it about a month, bought it used, but it was brand new, never installed (the previous owners had it sitting in their house for probably about a year).
They said to tap on it lightly - and it worked. I haven't got it all the way out yet because I have to get to bed to get some sleep for work tonite, but just doing it a little bit, it's loosened up a lot and I can tell it will come out the rest of the way when I get home in the morning and play around with it a bit more.
I'm guessing because of the type of metal, even being unused, sitting, with summer humidity, etc., probably caused some rust maybe along the edges causing it to stick.
Needless to say, I am pleased with EvenTemp for responding to my request for help and coming up with the answer.

Now am I going to have to take that brick out to get the pot out or will it slip past it?

Wi Thundercat said:

Glad to be of help to anyone that may have a St. Croix question. I don't have all the answers but know where to get them.

AR

ARGlock said:
Wi Thundercat said:

Glad to be of help to anyone that may have a St. Croix question. I don't have all the answers but know where to get them.

AR

I have one how much for the new steel brick for a 06-07 afton bay?.

Thanks jim

woodsman23 said:
ARGlock said:
Wi Thundercat said:

AR

I have one how much for the new steel brick for a 06-07 afton bay?.

Thanks jim

Hi Jim,

I'm seeing $79.00 List for the Afton Bay Steel Brick Kit.

AR

I'm probably going to have to get that as well for my Lancaster eventually, mine has the breakable brick - but I'll wait until I actually break it.

Status
Not open for further replies.