St Croix Hastings Smartstat Mode

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colbyc

Dec 17, 2008
long island
I did a search and came up with a few posts from about a year back about the St Croix Hastings Smartstat Mode. I haven't hooked up my thermostat yet, but plan on doing it this weekend. Everything I have read says to use the smartstat mode when its this kind of weather (50's during the day , low 40's at night). My only concern was that with the stove going on and off possibly a couple of times a day, would that decrease the life of the ignitor?

I use the smartstat position, so the stove won't overheat the house and burn fuel for no reason. If I save 10 to 15 lbs a fuel a day in the fall and spring, I'm sure that will more than compensate for a $85 ignitor I might or might not need 10 years from now. Right now, it isn't warm enough for me to use smartstat, so I'm using the program from the thermostat I put on the kitchen wall. Just my 2cents.

I am also using smartstat right up until today when it dod not get past 27 degrees. I have been using smartastat for over 2years and the igniter continues to work just fine. So a gas furnace runs a igniter as does a hot water tank them igniters last and last why should our stoves be any different???.

Running my stove on smartstat also Ijust bought a new skytech 3301p thermostat and man this thing rocks,but I have no worries about the ignitor.

I have been using the smart stat now for 3 yrs and had no problems. when it really gets cold out then I run it 24/7.

I want to hook up a T-stat to my Pepin but a programable deal won't work on my old stove.... at least these ignitors seem to last longer than those on a Harman...

Status
Not open for further replies.