st croix Lancaster convection blower rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
I woke up to my convection blower dead yesterday morning. Found a new blower was going to be at least $175. With my truck in the shop getting a intake gasket replaced on a 2001 4.3 v6 at around $500 I did not want to spend that right now. I unhooked the stove and turned it around to pull blower out and give the stove a good cleaning. I found the bearings were bad in the motor. The motor is pretty simple looking and it looked like it would come apart easily and it did. The only part that took a little patience was getting the squirrel cage fans off the shafts. I pulled a bearing and ran down to the local electric motor shop. Cost me $2.50 each for the bearings so I bought a extra set incase my friends motor quits. It is a easy repair, $5.00 for the bearings and I bought a 1/4"x4" brass pipe nipple to drive bearing back onto shaft which was perfect size to press on inner race w/out getting into the rubber seal on the sides of the bearing. It does require a puller to get bearings off of the shaft. If you dont have one I'm sure they are not more than $25 at Sears or harbor freight. While stove was unhooked I wheeled it out on to the front porch. I went nuts on it w/ the leafblower. I cleaned it inside and out, I made a mess outside but my stove is clean!! What a difference this made w/ the burn. Glass used to be black if it burnt on low over night. This morning glass was grey/white after burning on low all night. Lancaster, Auburn, hasting, greenfield, pepin all use the same convection blower.

Reactions: Bob Sorjanen
Awesome fix! Can I send you my motors to fix? :)

bbfarm,
Sure!!

It does have plastic fans. I reached in from the rectangular opening anheld one and started twisting the other and applying a little pressure out as I turned it on the shaft. It slowly started moving down the shaft. Once I got it to protrude thru the housing I could get ahold of it and gently roate and pull it off. Then hold the shaft w/ pliers and do the same to the other side. When finished I rotated and pushed them back on then had to tap them a bit get them seated all the way back on the shaft

Thanks, I About 2 years ago I came downstairs in the morning and could hear that the room blower was starting to make some noise. Pulled the fan out and pulled the seals off and put a dab of high temp no-melt grease in them and I was suprised they are still quiet to this day. I bought a extra fan to have on hand, dayton (1TDU8) it fits but the motor on it is a PSC and not a shaded pole. I was looking for just a little more air out of it, this one is 212cfm and looks to be rebuildable.

Alfred,
Is there any problem using a psc motor in this app w/ the way the board increases and decreases voltage to control fan speed? I dont know much about electric motors, just I know if some motors run on low voltage generates heat which breaks them down? Antt info would be appreciated. That looks like a good unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.