50.0%
  1. StephRL

StephRL
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 2, 2017
    Loc:
    NH
    I have a very cheap offer for a St. Croix Pepin (I'd need to buy piping to go up through ceiling, a control board, and pay for labor) plus an ash vac for $400.

I have another offer for a used Piazzetta Monia, fully installed, for $3400

What would you do? I assume that the Monia is way more efficient in the long run, and that I'll be paying at least 2k for the Pepin in total.

2. jzm2cc

jzm2cc
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 25, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    I'm a huge fan of St Croix stoves. Have a Lancaster now which is the corn version of the Pepin. I vote for the Pepin. Confused why you would have 2 grand total into fixing it if you only pay $400 for it. I'm guessing more like $800 total if you replace a motor and control board.

These are rock solid stoves typically (once exhaust passages are cleaned out). Good luck on your decision.

StephRL likes this.
  3. Lake Girl

Lake Girl
    Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Loc:
    NW Ontario
    There is a following on Hearth for the Piazzetta Monia so you can have input from multiple set-ups (one being a very helpful dealer). I know you can adjust them for most efficient pellet usage/heat performance. Not sure how variable the controls are on the Pepin. What warranty would you get with the Monia? Why was it sold?
    The additional $ would be for the venting set-up.

StephRL likes this.
  4. heat seeker

heat seeker
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 25, 2011
    Loc:
    Northern CT
    I'm not familiar with either stove, but my St Croix Afton Bay has been excellent for me. I bought it used about 5 years ago, and it's been a gem ever since. The only quirk is making sure the passages and ash traps are kept clean, but that's true of about every stove out there. I vote St Croix!

StephRL likes this.
  5. StephRL

StephRL
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 2, 2017
    Loc:
    NH
    There would not be a warranty on the Monia- it is a floor model that has been heating the store.

6. heat seeker

heat seeker
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 25, 2011
    Loc:
    Northern CT
    IMO opinion, the store should provide some warranty, even on a used unit. If not, I'd go elsewhere.

Lake Girl likes this.
  7. Lake Girl

Lake Girl
    Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Loc:
    NW Ontario
    How old is the Pepin? Any signs of corrosion as that will give you an idea of care? Able to check if auger, fans work?